Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The New Multiple Assistance Center

I don't know I'd go so far as the Times Standard does and say, "Welcome, Multiple Assistance Center...", but let's hope for the best. I'm quite leery of such projects since it seems the more money we spend on homeless problems, the more poor and homeless we end up having, at least from what you hear from some quarters. The idea sounds ok, at first glance. I could see how it would be seemingly impossible for some to re- establish oneself in the community after losing everything, assuming one had anything to begin with. I can't help but wonder how many more homeless types will come to the area because we have a new MAC, which might alleviate any gains made. I also wonder how they'll decide who gets to stay at the MAC and who doesn't? Will we be told in a year or two that we need a bigger and better MAC since the one we have isn't adequate? That's the usual way things go with such social projects.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home