Monday, May 16, 2005

A New Gadfly In Town

Humboldt's new up and coming gadfly, Scott Menzies, made the paper again today. I'll have to say (nothing at all against Scott) the news article kinda seemed like a non- story to me. Nothing real specific, just talking about Scott and his vision of community, which wasn't real specific. Not that he doesn't have some specific concerns and suggestions on his Realizing Community web site. The story in the paper just didn't really get much into them. Of course, the Times Standard does have space limitations, unlike Scott's web site (and this blog).

What to say about Realizing Community? A bit Authoritarian to me, in a lot of ways. But, having corresponded with Scott, I don't think he's an authoritarian by nature. It's just second nature for those on the Left, and often the Right as well, to try to organize people and communities "for their own good". But, I was struck when I first visited his site that there were some libertarian oriented points made. For instance, making mention of the fact that all these business regulations are what makes starting and running small businesses so difficult. So, while Realizing Community seems Authoritarian at first, there might be hope for Realizing Community in the long run.

4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Gadfly. Gadfly." (flip, flip, flip). "Ah! Here...hmm.."
'1. A persistent, irritating critic.'
"Hmmm. Must not be that. There's a compliment in here somewhere. I mean, I'm in the paper, I must be all things good and wonderful. Right? Hmmm..."
'2. One that provokes or goads.'
"Hmmm...can't be that, either."
'3. Any of various flies that bite or annoy livestock'
"Ah! That's it! I annoy livestock, which must mean that I support local beef. I can see the next article (waves hand across space in front of him) 'Local resident supports local beef.' I like that..."

[P.S. It's not Authoritarian if you're right, is it? ;-)]

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't take it personally, Scott.

Fred's been way off course for a so-called Libertarian with his support of Methyl Bromide Mike and his screw-the-middle-class bankruptcy 'reform' bill.

This is just one more example of how he can't stand for anyone else to get more attention than him.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries! Not taking it personally at all. Just levity. I really didn't know exactly what a gadfly was. I get along great with Fred. Hope it didn't sound otherwise!
We have our differences, and we have our similarities. There's certainly part of me that would probably qualify as a Libertarian. Then, of course, there's the other parts that probably wouldn't! :-)

Scott

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah, and lighten up, Charles. You're just mad cause I have a blog and you don't. So there. I sure told you.

Keep up your negative comments and Scott's gonna register to vote as a Libertarian instead of a Green.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home