Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Startled For A Second

Had to do a double take on todays editorial in the Times Standard. Apparently, some other blogger is using articles from the Times Standard and altering them on his or her web site. Kinda startled me, at first glance, cause there's only one other blog I know of that comes from Humboldt and, as I often link to the Times Standard articles, assumed they must of been referring to my blog. But, they weren't.

I have seen at least one instance where someone threatened legal action against a web site owner for having a link to something on the complainant's web site, which isn't what happened here. If one were to complain about that, they'd be way off base, in my opinion. If you have a web site that's viewable to the public, that makes it public domain, as far as I'm concerned.

That's not what the Times Standard was complaining about, though. They didn't like their news articles copied, edited and posted as if that was the original article which is a fair complaint.

I'll have to try and see if the editor will give me a link to that blog. I'd love to know who's doing it.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

I'm with you. I've been searching for the blog, and found yours. Here's mine: flipitoff.blogspot.com I'll be sure to ask permission if I link in the future (I usually do after the fact and have never been asked to remove the link) But changing the content, why that's downright despicable. But that's assuming the TS is telling the whole story (which I'm willing to accept that they're accurately portraying what happened).

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I wouldn't even worry about links but I suppose it's polite to ask permission. I figure if it's not some secure website- password required- and it's open for the public to see, then it's public domain. That said, I suppose someone could rightfully get upset if they posted a link to your site on some Nazi Party, or some such, web site, creating guilt by association.

Then again, if the site's out there for everyone to visit, as long as you don't plagiarize it or misrepresent what they have on there, what's the problem. Heck, that's what most people have web sites or blogs for, isn't it? To broadcast one's ideas. I love it when people link to my web sites.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://buhnetribune.blogspot.com/
http://theplazoid.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home