Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Anti- Gay Marriage Initiative In Circulation

Here's one petition I won't sign. This one supposedly "protects marriage" and, I believe, reaffirms that marriage is only between a man and a woman, or some such. Proponents of the initiative are going to challenge the wording the Attorney General used to summarize the initiative. I'll admit to not having read all the fine details but I suspect the Attorney General is correct in his summary. I suspect it won't be difficult for this petitioning effort to succeed and, if the initiative does make the ballot, it should pass easily just like Prop. 22 did a few years ago. One easy way to pass an initiative is to simply go after some minority group like homos or smokers.

Refuse to sign this one, my friends, and please don't go for that line the petitioners give: "Signing doesn't mean you have to vote for it. This just puts the issue on the ballot...". I saw a lady, who said she smoked, fall for that line when they were petitioning for Prop 10, that last tobbaco tax increase. She says "I smoke so don't want to pay more in taxes..". The guy says the line I quote above. She huffs and says, "ok" and signs the initiative and thus helped herself into a major tax increase. If you don't support an initiative, don't sign the petition. Democracy be damned!

5 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

I'm with you on not signing. I used to sign because I appreciated that at least the person's working. But after the $8 a sig in the Gallegos recall attempt, I decided I'd sign nothing if I didn't understand and agree with it.

No doubt on the go after a fringe group strategy. Isn't that what The Plazoid is all about?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

I don't give to panhandlers, but I do give to buskers.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

What's a "busker"?

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

busker \BUS-kur\, noun:
A person who entertains (as by playing music) in public places.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Oh. Well why didn't you just say that in the first place? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home