Sunday, August 28, 2005

Job Searching

Boy it's scary looking for a job when you're fifty years old and you've been self employed for thirteen years. I'm still a self employed gardener, but decided it's time to try something different. I'm not looking for a full time job, right now, just something part time to make up for accounts I've lost over time. I'm just kinda taking my time checking out the Help Wanted ads looking for something with FRED WANTED written all over it.

I want to find something not so physical and some of the jobs offered at the Times Standard and Tri City Weekly sounded inviting. Problem is, they have the same parent company and all those jobs require drug testing. What is it with all these drug testing requirements? I don't use recreational drugs, anymore. Last time I smoked pot was over twenty years ago. But this is a matter of pride. I've been self employed for thirteen years and I figure I shouldn't have to piss in a cup for anyone, to prove my worth.

Some might say that employers shouldn't be able to require piss tests. I tend to think that's their perogative but they might well miss out on a potentially good employee just cause a guy smokes pot. I suppose if I get desperate I might have to swallow my pride and do the pee thing but hopefully not in the near future. Until then I'll just take my time and hopefully find the perfect part time job that might lead to something full time later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home