Sunday, October 02, 2005

Freecycle Grows, HTL Shrinks

I was pleased to see that the Humboldt Freecycle Yahoo Group is growing. They just passed the 1000 member mark. Not bad. My only concern is the e-mail volume might get a bit overwhelming if it keeps growing. Hasn't been unbearable yet with membership in the hundreds, though.

Freecycle, if you haven't been there, is pretty neat. If you have something laying around the house you want to give away, you post a message there with your offer. If you're in search of something you think someone might want to get rid of, you post it there as well. I posted an offer for some appliances and some old lawn amendments I'd had laying around the house and garage for years, taking up space, that I knew I'd never use. Got a couple e-mails within fifteen minutes from people that wanted them. Cool.

Responding to requests hasn't been so successful, although from the e-mail traffic it looks like it has been for some. A few people have asked for things I had and wouldn't mind getting rid of but they never showed up to pick up the stuff after I e-mailed I had the item available. Anyway, good job Freecycle!
***********
The Humboldt Taxpayer's League seems to be losing members even after they tried to distance themselves from the lawsuit against Eureka. Past Chair, Larry Henderson, has sent out some e-mails with statements from what seems to be an evergrowing number of people who won't be renewing their memberships. I didn't count the number of people but I'd say ten or so have indicated they're leaving. Shame to see things like that happen. The future of the League remains unclear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home