Monday, October 24, 2005

Homeless Camps In Bayside

Or was it Sunnybrae? Same difference, I guess. I thought it was a pretty neat thing this guy in Arcata is doing, working with other churches to give some of the less fortunates a place to pitch a tent, so to speak. That said, one wonders how the neighborhood feels about it? Give it some time and some might not be so happy about how the project develops.

Believe it or not, I was actually somewhat supportive of the folks in the homeless encampments, years ago, at the South Jetty and Clam Beach. Heck, people gotta sleep somewhere. But they did make a mess, at least out at the South Jetty. Both encampments were broke up and the campers were forced to move on. I figured certain people did what they felt they had to do. Oh well.

I'll have to admit to being relieved when the Clam Beach camp was broken up. It took a while to realize that, after that camp was busted up, the panhandlers in Eureka just about disappeared. They used to pester me regularly at the Shell station at 5th and N(?) in Eureka. I found it annoying, especially the BS line they'd give you about having ran out of gas and needing money to keep traveling. Out of all the people at the station when I'd be fueling they always pick me to hit up for change. Never could understand why.

Must be because I look like a nice guy...or a sucker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home