Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Old Town Private Security Proposed

Again, I should say. Some years ago private security officers were used to patrol Old Town, Eureka. I wondered what happened to them. I guess, due to financial problems, the City cancelled the program. The idea's back on the burner, again, this time as part of some "pilot program" using redevelopment funds for funding.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the reason they're calling it a pilot program is because redevelopment funds can't be used for other than "pilot programs", according to the article. How can they get away with calling it that, though, when we already had such a program years ago? We should know how it worked and if it worked from the results of the last time we did this.

Heck, sounds like an ok idea to me. My main concern is the mention of having regular Police Service Officers take over the duties, eventually. I would assume that would be after the eight month "trial run" is over. What's that all about? If private security is successful, why turn it over to the [most likely] more expensive government employees? After all, all these private cops are supposed to do is report crimes to regular cops. That's what the Service Officers would be doing, as well, we are to assume. No need for these highly trained Police Service Officers to do something that could be done just as well by contracted private security officers.

Maybe it's some sneaky way to eventually shift more funds to the budget of the Eureka Police Department? I don't know. Time will tell but this needs to be kept an eye on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home