Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Next Race For Governor

Probably a bit early to bring this up. Heck, it's probably waaay too early to bring this up, but I will anyway: Any predictions on who ends up on the slate for the next race for Governor?

Arnold has already said he'll run, which isn't to say some scandal could erupt to cause him to drop out. It looks like a given that Phil Angelides and Steve Westly will try for the Democratic nod. Then there's talk of Warren Beatty and Rob "meathead" Reiner throwing their hats in the ring, along with current Attorney General, Bill Lockyer. Quite frankly, I don't like any of the potential Democrats, but if I had to chose one I guess it would be Westly. I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about him, though. A moot point, I suppose, as I wouldn't even think of voting for any of them.

As disgusting as it is, I almost look forward to all the dirty tricks the candidates use against each other in the primaries, trying to get themselves the nomination. Then, after one wins the primary, all the other candidates do an about face and say how great the guy is they were running down the day before and throw their support behind him. They have no shame.

So how will this play out? Some will point to Arnold's current low approval ratings. That can be overcome, I think, although there's no guarantee. As the Sacramento Bee's, Dan Walters, points out in today's column, The potential Democratic candidates don't fare so well in public opinion, either, much less name recognition.

I suspect the race will be close, but give the edge to the Governor. Who wins the Democratic nomination? I suspect it will be pol scuzbag Phil Angeledes. I don't see how anyone could vote for him but, then again, I don't see how anyone could vote for Dianne Feinstein or Barbara Boxer and they regularly win re- election.

Another related question: Will the Libertarian Candidates for statewide office get more than 2% of the total vote which guarantees the Party a place on the ballot for the next election? Hard to say. At least one of our candidates, usually at least the one running for Insurance Commissioner, usually gets 2%. I suspect we'll do so again but with the LP looking to me like it's in such disarray, I won't hold my breath waiting for those results. In reality though, I think we often get the 2% of the vote, despite of ourselves, rather than because of anything our candidates did or didn't do.

2 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Terminator becoming Governer was one of the best things that ever happened to The Peoples Republic of California.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, maybe. Might have worked better if he was more of the kind of personality that could make things happen. I don't have a problem with him but, if he wasn't so confrontational, maybe he could have made more progress.

That said, he was up against an almost unbeatable foe: The powers of big government. In California, that's been shown to be a pretty much insurmountable force.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home