Sunday, November 20, 2005

Only Two Choices?

More and more people are reading my hard hitting commentary, or so it seems. After I put out yesterdays post on the proposed Humboldt Hostel the Left wing PAC, Local Solutions, sent out an e-mail notice to its membership calling for everyone to lobby the members of the Eureka City Council in favor of the Humboldt Hostel over the alternative proposal, Hampton Suites.

The Times- Standard responded by running a piece on the front page covering the two proposed projects. Boy, it sure is exciting to have such an influential blog.

Quite honestly, I don't know that I could say I'm really in favor of either of these projects. Too bad there aren't some other choices. With the Hostel we slide deeper into the pit of the Education- Industrial Complex- a government project simply for the sake of the high paying jobs it provides. With the Hampton Suites we get yet another hotel for the limited number of travelers that come to Humboldt. While the Suites would be more along the line of a private enterprise project I would likely support, I'll grudgingly admit that the Hostel would likely attract more visitors to the county but will they be the kind of visitors we want?

Unless I'm mistaken, either of the projects fall under the auspices of the Redevelopment Agency so that ties up much of any potential tax revenue coming from either project for decades. Not that tax revenue is a big concern of mine except for when they tie up that source of revenue, they need to make up for it by taking more from everyone else.

I hate to sound negative again, but I'd just as soon they leave the parcel in question the way it is unless they can come up with a better idea. Seems to me there's something to be said for an empty lot. They're becoming a rare commodity in just about any town nowadays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home