Thursday, December 22, 2005

PATRIOT Act Extended

I was surprised to see the PATRIOT Act had been extended. I guess I wasn't paying enought attention as I thought the extension had been defeated. Then I realized it had just been extended for six months as opposed to the four years which was originally proposed.

I won't comment here on the merits, or lack thereof, of the PATRIOT Act itself. The one thing that most should find troubling about this whole issue is the number of both citizens and legislators that don't seem to have any concerns about the Act in the first place. Since the War On Terror is likely to last decades to possibly centuries, PATRIOT Act supporters are essentially saying it's ok to to infringe on our liberties for our lifetimes and perhaps even generations to come.

Don't think they're saying that? I'd submit that by dismissing criticisms of the Act and being so determined in going forward with extensions of the Act, that's exactly what they're saying and are tossing the "freedoms" they're so concerned about defending out the window.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Our freedoms aren't threatened by anyone outside our borders. The only ones that can (and do) threaten America's freedoms are its citizenry and its government.

5 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

That's scary Fred.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

What I'm "hiding" isn't the point, semper fi. You asking me why I should be fearful of the PATRIOT Act IS the point.

Especially since with a handle like semper fi I would assume you're associated with the US Marines, or at least were at some point. One of the people the patriotic, War Party types say are over THERE "defending our freedom".

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

I follow a specific mentality when it comes to gov't knowledge about me. It's a "need to know" basis and I determine who needs to know what and 9 out of 10 times the gov't has NO NEED TO KNOW!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, the government knows everything they want to know about you.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

and yet they have no need to know it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home