Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Tract Winning Online Poll

Looks like Tract is winning over Track in the Times- Standard's online poll which asks what the Balloon Tract should be called. 279 to 215 just before I wrote this and the poll will be closed soon. I'll have to agree with T-S Editor, Charles Winkler. Despite being one of the instigators, I'm getting a little tired of the issue myself.

I had to laugh, after all the fuss I've raised over this. After I posted the notice of the T-S poll, I was at work and got to thinking and came to the conclusion: What difference does it make what you call the Balloon Tract? I guess the main thing that bugs me about it was I felt that changing the name to Track was a result of some reporter down the line's mistake, everyone after that picked up on it and the rest is history.

This might have happened with another word: Seems to me earthquakes were often referred to as "tremors", when I first moved up here. Then, all of the sudden I started reading "temblors", which is supposedly spanish for shaking, or some such. Might someone have misused that word somewhere way back when and that silly temblor became a commonly used mistake? Even if it could be considered an acceptable use of the word, it's still a much more awkward word than tremor.

Oh, never mind. We don't want to go there again, do we?

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Buyer's remorse?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Oh, I don't know that I'd go that far. I just grow weary of some issues faster than some do. Also, as I alluded to earlier, I came to the realization that there are some places named after objects that are part of them. I tried to come up with some examples but couldn't, off the top of my head. But I know there are some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home