Thursday, February 09, 2006

No More E Waste

For those of you that missed it, today's the day. After today a state law takes effect that bans the direct dumping of many kinds of e- waste into landfills. So, no more dumping those AA batteries directly into the trash can.

It doesn't really bother me much, if at all. I suppose we should be trying to keep toxic metals from leaching into the environment. I just wonder how big a threat that really is with e- waste. Might this be another case of environmentalist hype as we see with global warming and other supposed crises? I don't know, but I've always hated to see so many things thrown away when they might have material recovered from them. As long as it doesn't cost too much.

5 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Environmentalist hype? Educate yourself before slinging arrows. Landfills are toxic.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

I guess you missed this show. It was pretty good.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Landfills are toxic"

Agreed that some toxic materials leach out of landfills. In the case of e- waste I just wonder how bad it really is? Someone could throw out some figure that says so much of this metal is leaching out of the landfill. That doesn't necessarilly mean that the amount that's leaching out is a threat in and of itself.

A point in your favor though is, assuming we're talking heavy metals here, those metals don't just disappear. They could accumalate over time becoming a hazard.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Oh goodie! Another greenie state law. Just what we needed.
Where did these heavy metals originate? Oh, I get it Bush fabricated them out of biodegradible camel dung.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I was wondering about the mercury thing; I was under the impression mercury wasn't used in batteries anymore. Was I under the wrong impression?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home