Friday, February 24, 2006

Reasons For A National I.D. Card

Actually, I found this guy's reasons for supporting a national I.D. card more like reasons to oppose one, although I don't have time right now to take issue with each of his points. He seems to be a genuine authoritarian, at least from what I can see from that op- ed.

He represents some outfit I'd never heard of before called the New America Foundation. With a name like that the first impression I got was they might be some offshoot of the Project for a New American Century, the folks who managed to finally get in a position to direct U.S foreign policy.

There doesn't seem to be any connection, though, from what I can see. Don't recognize any of the names or faces and nothing I've read on their site seems to echo the New American Century folk's stuff. But, I didn't spend much time searching.

The one other op- ed I checked on their site was one I actually linked to here a little while ago about California voters increasingly opting for the independent label. I didn't catch a connection the the New America Foundation when I read that op- ed.

I'm thinking this might just be another supposed reform group along the lines of Ross Perot's Reform Party, with no base in principle. I'll need to keep an eye out for more of their stuff since, if the argument for the National I.D. is any example of what's to come, these folks might turn out to be pretty scary.

5 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little by little, slowly but surely they're boiling the frog alive.

The only solution is total revolution -- a nonviolent refusal to cooperate with evil.

But will Americans do that? Not a chance. Not as long as they've got plenty of food in their fat tummies and all kinds of degraded televised garbage to seduce and titillate their programmed little minds.

That frog is as good as boiled.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, Seems to me that whether or not there will be a new bar-coded national ID card is a moot point. Market economics will eventually get us to comply regardless of government regulations. Witness the new program for the affluent airline travelers. Pay an extra fee, submit yourself to a voluntary background and security check, and walla, you are one of the lucky few to gain head-of-the-line "priveledges"...for a price.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Market economics will eventually get us to comply regardless of government regulations."

Good point, 303.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I should say, though, that I'm not one of those that's personally worried about someone reading my e-mail or finding out I have high blood pressure. Hey, my life's an open book.

I get irked by the attitude some have that we owe it to government to let them know everything about us, as the author of the piece seems to think; "It will be good for everyone!".

Anyone remember some years ago there was talk of tatooing everyone at birth so we'd all eventually have a permanent I.D.? Same sort of thing and then I read some reader poll in one of those tabloids that came out with the Sunday paper, Parade or whatever it was at the time.

The question was asked if readers thought a tatoo i.d. at birth was a good idea. One of the replies chosen for publishing was, "I think it's a good idea. It would be easier for the government to keep track of its citizens...".

That sort of talk has me seeing red, and I'm not sure I was even with the Libertarian Party back then, although I might have been. Can't remember how long ago that was.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Read a sci-fi book once - can't remember the name of it - but the government had gotten TOO efficient, so they had created a Department of Sabotage, expressly to mess things up once in a while. Always struck me as a good idea, like gridlock in Congress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home