Friday, February 10, 2006

Samoa

I've been following developments at Samoa with interest ever since they began talking of selling the town. I thought back then how fun it would be to buy Samoa and turn it into a Libertopia- a totally libertarian community with the smallest local government possible. Hey, if I had the money and bought the place it would be mine to do with as I please. It would be interesting to see what would come of such an effort. I'm sure it would come with its own share of headaches and disappointments.

That said, Hank Sims' story on the New, New Samoa got me to thinking about it again. I've been wondering if it's such a good idea to put a lot of money into developing that town, or anything else on the peninsula for that matter? A good sized tsunami would tear that place apart, I would think. If you lived out there I wonder if you'd have enough time to get out of there if we had a big shake. Call me paranoid but just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't a potential disaster lurking in the future for Samoa.

Of course, that begs the question of why anyone would want to invest time and money developing anywhere near the bay? If paranoids like me had their way, would anything ever get accomplished around here?

8 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

"...the project will require a number of permits both from local agencies and the California Coastal Commission."

Forget the tsunami, this project is doomed as soon as McKay hears about it.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot about liquefaction if there is a big enough earth quake, or even one that lasts long enough. Samoa and that area would be hit by it pretty good I would imagine. I am surprised it hasn't been much of an issue yet, but most of the quakes are relatively short and far off.

http://www.ce.washington.edu/~liquefaction/html/where/where1.html

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Maybe not, Leo. Might be a blessing in disguise for the developers, though, if the big one actually happens.

Liquefaction; Hmmm...that's right. All the structures will sink into the sand and then the tidal wave will wash right over them. Bummer.

I wonder if it would be possible for people to sink in the sand like buildings do?

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I suppose not after reading the page you posted the link to.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Wouldn't the smallest form of Government be a dictatorship? You could be King Fred and make all decisions.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Good idea. I'll be the benevolent dictator.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

With hand selected subjects, it just might work. Except of course for the lack of purchase capital, eh? Dammit. It's not only the "best laid schemes" but the silly ones too that go astray.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try passing a law that every building in your city has a boat on the roof, in case they sink and the tidal waves comes. Maybe you could ride it out ;)

or not....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home