Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Campaign Kick Offs

Did I miss something? Isn't Peter Levallee running unopposed for Mayor of Eureka?

Anyway, looks like he's having his campaign kick off event tomorrow night at the Indigo Night Club in Eureka. They mention the usual endorsements: Thompson, Berg, Chesbro, Wooley and Kerrigan. I suppose Kerrigan and Wooley will show up for this event. Wonder what other faces will be there?

The proponents of Measure T, the initiative that will ban "non- local" corporations from contributing to local campaigns, had some kind of campaign start up meeting on Sunday, I believe (or was it last week?). Wonder how many showed up for that one?

I don't recall seeing any follow up in any of the local papers for that event. I would have liked to have known who showed up, and how many. I suppose it wouldn't be any surprise as to who showed up, though.

My very own No On Measure T Committee (hey, I'm the webmaster, so I can say My very own) kicks off its campaign tomorrow at noon, upstairs at Roy's in Old Town, Eureka. I'm wondering how good a turn out we'll have for that one and just who will show up. Hopefully, we'll get a wide range of the political spectrum to show.

I don't do well in crowds. I'm one of those agoraphobia types that feels quite uncomfortable in them. Still, duty calls so I'll have to show up for this one. I just hope no cameras come after the King of Humboldt Bloggers. I don't want to screw up like I did when I showed up at the kick off for the No On Measure L campaign.

Oh well, Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...

21 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

The TV news editing was kind to you that day. Stephanie J. who covered the event for channel 3 was a little bewildered though.

Mike Harvey

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Agreed.

For those that weren't there: Basically, I tried to make the point that, even if a county wide sales tax increase was passed, there'd be little change and within six months we'd likely be told again that the we're in some budget crisis.

I totally screwed that up and made it sound like passing a new tax wouldn't have any effect on anyone.

My original suggestion was correct, though. Notice how life goes on in Humboldt, even without that tax?

Good thing they dumped that segment of me.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear no evil.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Indeed!

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there was a picture of the measure t event in the paper on monday.

it looked like there were a lot of people there, i think the paper said there were 100 but i don't remember.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

Did you advertise your meeting anywhere? This is the first I heard about it and would like to have gone but I have something else going on tonight. Are you going to start meeting regularly?

-Nancy M.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't be suprised is Rex Bohn is a candidate here soon...

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

10:21 wrote: "there was a picture of the measure t event in the paper on monday."

Hmmm...I guess I missed it. Shows how thoroughly I read the paper.

Nancy M. wrote: "Did you advertise your meeting anywhere?"

I'm not sure as I wasn't the one doing the press stuff, although I don't recall seeing anything in the paper, now that you mention it. I'm pretty sure press releases were sent to all the newspapers, though.

Nancy, you said you have "something else going on tonight..". The meeting is at noon on Thursday, not tonight, so there's still time for you to show up.

In the meantime, send your name and city of residence to me at fredtyg@sbcglobal.net and I'll add your name to the growing list of people opposing Measure T. That choice is yours, of course.

11:06 wrote: "Wouldn't be suprised is Rex Bohn is a candidate here soon".

You heard it first here, folks!

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arkley will get Bohn to run... No doubt

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I was confused. Hadn't had my coffee yet.

Is this a press conference or a meeting? I might be able to steal away from work. But if you are planning to have press there then I'm not so sure...

I don't put my name on websites. But thanks for the offer.

Nancy

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

This is a press conference or, actually, a meeting covered by the press, at least that's the plan.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why doesn't the measure t website list this meeting?

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Good point, 1:37. Probably because it never occured to me to mention the meeting there, silly me.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon 10:21 says there were 100 people there...

cap'n buhne says The T-S reports: "Nine people attended the public meeting..." held by Marina Center opponents Preserve Our Waterfront.

From the ER: "(POW founder) Ferguson said about 12-15 people attended the meeting,..."

or is this a different event? same people, though?

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Maybe it depended on when the media showed up? There might have been 9 people to start, with some arriving later, or, 15 to start and some left when the some of the reporters showed up?

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fred,

What happened at your meeting today?

Heard from someone that you got Nancy Flemming there and Rex Bohn, is that true?

If so, congrats!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'll tell about the meeting later on, in an actual post, rather than a comment. Yes, Bohn and Flemming were both there.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Rex running for Mayor?

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

As I mentioned in another thread, I heard Rex Bohn say he's not running for Mayor.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad. I'd vote for Rex for Mayor.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you vote for Rex?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home