Sunday, May 07, 2006

Million Marijuana March

How this got passed me, I have no idea. I was surprised to find that yesterday was the annual day of protest against marijuana prohibition, know as the Million Marijuana March.

I never heard or read anything about this coming up, and I subscribe to all kinds of lefty and anti- drug war e-mail lists. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to my e-mail lately?

No big deal, as I wouldn't have been there anyway. It did get me to thinking again about something I mused about a couple years ago: A countywide initiative to decriminalize marijuana, much like Mendocino County did a few years ago.

I thought that would be a fun effort to pursue. I guess what stopped me from ever even beginning to work on it was, one; Laziness, and, two: My gut feeling was that it would fail, even up here.

Maybe it wouldn't fail, but my laziness makes potential failure a moot point.

How about some of you? Anyone out there interested in starting a campaign to decriminalize pot up here? I may be really lazy, but I'd be willing to help.

3 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the first thing we can do is make the medical marijuana limits uniform across the county. right now the cities like eureka and arcata are at the sb420 defaults of 6 plants and 8 ounces while the unincorporated county lands are 100 square feet and 3 pounds.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Perhaps.

Problem is, we'd still end up beating ourselves over the head trying to decide what the limits should be.

Who knows? We might end up with the county going along with Eureka's limits, after all is said and done.

Local autonomy applies to medical mj limits just like it does to so many other things: If each city had its own limits on something, if you don't like it, you can move somewhere else.

I don't like suggesting that people should move because of what they see as oppressive government practices, but, at least they'd have that option.

If the standards became countywide, no matter what limits they decided upon, you'd have to move out of the county and find a place with limits that are acceptable to you.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the county already set those 100sqft/3lbs limits in a 2004 ordinance and they aint going to change those. they are countywide limits that are in place, the only problem being the cities which haven't bothered to pass an sb420 implementation ordinance, leaving them with the default state minimums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home