Thursday, May 25, 2006

Organic Farming

I went to the North Coast Journal's web site to see if I could get a peek at the hit piece I've been informed they wrote on the No On T committee's presentation to the Republican Women's Federation. Unfortunately, it hasn't been uploaded to the web site yet.

So, since I needed something to read with my lunch, I read the story the Journal wrote on the 4th District Supervisorial race I never got around to reading last week. I was struck by this quote in Bonnie Neely's part of the story:

For example, she says, Humboldt County secured a half-million dollar grant to convert a dairy in Miranda to organic. "As a result, we now have 13 organic dairies.".

WHAT??? Half a million bucks to convert a dairy farm to organic??? Nothing against Neely on this but that sounds like a ridiculous waste of money. I hardly think that's something to be proud of. I'm not all that down on organic food, either. I'm just not going to pay extra money for it.

Along that same line, I was over at Les Schwab the other day getting a flat tire fixed. I bumped into a magazine I'd never seen before while sitting in the waiting room. Fast Company had this article on the future of organic gardening.

Interesting that the guy they interview for the story is a long time organic gardener and also serves in a Vice President capacity for General Mills. If advocates of organic gardening want to be more effective, they should follow his common sense approach rather than concentrating on scare tactics against conventional farming methods.

Be sure and take note where he gives credit to Wal Mart for helping out the organic food industry.

8 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the Journal did list the Libertarian Party as a "notable" endorser of No on T, at least there's some respect for you Fred.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I have to check on that. Haven't seen it yet.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, is this sort of thing here comparable to the state paying farmers not to grow certain vegetables,or other crops,depending on quantity, season,and whatever else they pay them for?Sounds like it.The co-op is cerified organic,what a joke.Yeah sure, they have more organic food,or a higher percentage anyway, than the other markets here but they're sure not solely organic.Are they going to start getting kickbacks from the state as well if they get rid of their uncertified products?

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For once I agree with Esquan. As long as the Co-Op carries Coca Cola, they aren't organic. When I think of an organic retailer, I think of TranquiliTea or other businesses which refuse to stock nonorganic products.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, good 'ole Fred, King of the Libertarians.

How many of us did you consult before putting the Libertarian endorsement on the No on T website? I don't remember hearing that the party was making an endorsement...how come I wasn't invited to that meeting?

Fred Mangels: Party of One

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who seriously considers themselves a Libertarian couldn't possibly justify the big-government, anti-free market Measure T.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

10:27 wrote: "How many of us did you consult before putting the Libertarian endorsement on the No on T website?".

None, actually, although the only libertarians I'm in any sort of contact with up here are opposed to T.

But, I'm covered, since the Humboldt LP isn't an "active" region of the LP of California, we couldn't really have meetings, at least "official" meetings.

If we did have meetings, at least those that would be considered "official", only qualified members could vote, "qualified" in this case being dues paying/ pledge signing members as that's what LP CA requires for membership. I suspect you're not a dues payer. Neither am I, at least not anymore.

So, as "Chair Pro- Tem" of this "inactive" region, I'm authorized by LP CA to take positions on issues as they come up. In fact, I notified the Northern Vice- Chair of my decision to add Humboldt LP to the list and he didn't have a problem with it.

I did that after some deliberation; I realize there are some lefty libertarians that tend to be anti- corporate. As an aside, I've met some registered libertarian voters who are so far to the left (or right), I'm surprised they're registered as libertarians.

I also realize libertarian views vary on supposed campaign finance reform. But, imo, no libertarian would support any campaign restrictions that affect one side of an issue but not the other, thus felt safe in endorsing a NO vote on Measure T.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its not enough that these powermongers took over the democrat central committee and are taking over the green committee, now they want yours as well fred. talk about vote local control, they want all the levers of power to be taken away from anyone who doesn't obey their b.s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home