Saturday, May 27, 2006

Polls

I guess we'll never be satisfied with each others polls, will we?

Eureka Councilcritter, Jeff Leonard is challenging the poll Citizens for Real Economic Growth sponsored on how residents felt about the Marina Center and the Balloon Tract. Leonard wants a closer look at the poll to determine its legitimacy.

I suppose that's a fair request but I wonder if that will lead anywhere? After all, I might well have answered NO myself, if asked if the Marina Center would be the best use for the Balloon Tract. I've said before I don't have problems with empty lots just remaining empty lots, but I think if I'd had my druthers, I'd rather see a factory of some kind put there.

Thing is, a factory ain't gonna happen, so you won't see me opposing Marina Center but, depending on the mood I was in, I might well answer NO if asked about the Marina Center- Marina Center being the best use, that is.

Polls often leave so many questions unanswered, I can't help but think we should be skeptical of any poll no matter how well it's worded.

Then there's Kaitlin Sopoci- Belknap's discounting of the Eureka Chamber of Commerce poll that showed the vast majority of respondents opposing Measure T. She's right, no where near the majority of the members bothered to return the poll and most businesses aren't members of the Chamber. Does that mean they don't necessarily oppose Measure T?

That's hard to say. I suspect most might not be thinking much about the issue. I suspect a lot just never get around to bothering with filling out the poll and sending it in.

I never cease to be amazed at how few people will return candidate petitions I mail out when we're trying to qualify candidates for the ballot. I've sent out petitions with all required fields that need to be filled in hightlighted, including a stamped and addressed return envelope and yet, still, maybe ten percent of the recipients fill them out and return them (although I probably broke some kind of record last time I did a mailing ending up with a thirty percent return rate).

So, much of the non- response the Eureka Chamber got is likely the way it always is. For those that didn't bother voting, you snooze, you lose. Besides, the Yes On T folks have been trumpeting the Wal Mart vote as evidence of people not wanting a big box on the Balloon Tract. I don't believe even fifty percent of the people turned out for that vote, either.

Bottom line is, we use polls and statistics when they suit our purpose. Nothing wrong with that. It's both politics and human nature.

12 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More businesses associate with the Chamber then will ever associate with those Democracy Unlimited gangsters.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Gangsters? Fascists? Power grab?

You don't do your cause well with insulting melodrama. If measure T passes, it will in part be due to the wackiness of the opposition.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Democracy "Unlimited" does not tolerate dissent of any kind. They are thugs of the worse kind, led by the blithering idiot David Cobb.

The same David Cobb who is destroying the Green Party locally and nationally.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Jeff Leonard enjoys the "poll" on November 7th when we toss his Arkley-sucking ass out of office.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

isnt it odd how some opinions are more equal than others? the 20 or so businesses endorsing measure t are valid, while the hundreds of businesses responding to the chamber poll opposing measure t arent valid. kaitlin is so completely illogical it strains credulity. as they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now there you go again, eric, just when I was starting to think you had some sense

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Mr. Kirk - if it passes it will be because your mindless pot smoking friends have killed so many brain cells that they can no longer exercise any critical thought.

As for me - I will vote no on Measure T because I can read and don't need DU or Sopaki-Belknap to tell me how to think. And if it passes, will DU and S-B pay for the attorney fees bill when it is thrown out - I doubt it.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eric - isn't this addictive, like ebay? cathartic, too.

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, it is now guys like Jeff Leonard who have the courage to speak up and do the right thing - knowing they will get slammed, knowing they will unleash the floodgates of criticism for daring to question the Ork's viewpoint.

I've come to admire and respect the man. He takes it like a man, no whining. And his points are jsut common sense. Wjy waste money on another development study when someone has purchased or is willing to purchase the property and develop it, and why believe Larry Glass's secret poll "results." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Ork is a middle earth mutant from "Lord of the Rings"

It is also the mindless local solutions, Dem Unlimited, FOPG, CREG and AEB drones. You know the ones that jump on any band wagon with their orwellian chants. The ones that think that their Ends justify their Means.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's when their skulls are opened and molten lava poured in, creating a mindless creature that runs rampant upon command, the braindead followers, the Orks

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

question is, bit, are you one of them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home