Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sign Vandals On The Loose

I didn't see a link to it on the online version, but the Eureka Reporter mentioned, in a short story on Board of Supervisor candidates, that some of Nancy Flemming's campaign signs have been vandalized.

I noticed one yesterday, just a block a way from my house- different area than where the vandalism the ER mentioned took place. Someone spray painted something about Flemming supporting needle exchange programs on one of her signs, just like the ER said.

Makes me wonder who's responsible for this? Common sense would say the Left would be the ones opposing Flemming. But, you'd also think those same folks on the Left would support needle exchange programs. Hmmm...Then again, could it be an attempt by lefties to get the right leaning voters to turn on Flemming?

But that doesn't make sense because the fact that they're defacing signs would ruin their message in the first place. They probably don't think that deeply, though, assuming we can lump the sign vandals into one group.

Seems like we've had an increasing problem with election sign vandalism over the last few years. Is this a sign that it's back with us again?

While I've always felt vandalism was more likely to be committed by left leaning folk, I remember back during the Bohn vs. Kerrigan race for Eureka City Council, somebody was tearing up both candidates' signs.

That might of been the same election someone came into my yard overnight and stole ALL my signs; Candidates, propositions, it didn't seem to matter. I couldn't find them, either, so whoever took them must have just grabbed them and taken off. What's with that?

Let's see if the vandalism increases and keep our eyes open. What would be fun is to finally catch someone who does this sort of thing. I'd love to know what their motive is.

11 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to happen each election. Seems like more this year. I don't understand why they are doing this to Nancy. What is the reason do you think. Is there some gap between her beliefs and the other candidates?

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I have no idea what they might be trying to accomplish by saying Flemming supports needle exchange programs.

Strange issue to bring up but I suppose it could be somebody's pet peeve.

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm highly doubtful that this is an organized effort. Probably the work of one, single issue person.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

after all the dirty tricks of the measure t nutjobs, they deserve reciprocity!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

10:43 wrote: "I'm highly doubtful that this is an organized effort.".

I can't imagine that a bunch of people got together and planned to do it, but I guess you never know.

11:10 wrote: "after all the dirty tricks of the measure t nutjobs...".

I'm curious just what "dirty tricks" you're referring to?

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes signs are stolen by kids who have no political agenda. Stealing campaign signs is like smashing pumpkins. I wouldn't read too much into it.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Pamela Reece said...

I know you and I are on different sides of the fence, Fred. However, when I had my Bush/Cheney signs out in my front yard, both were defaced. I actually caught the culprits on the second sign and they were teenagers with nothing better to do with their time. Defacing political signs seems to be done by infantile, immature, children and not adults. It's certainly no excuse, but it makes me question how these children were raised more than the election or issues themselves.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dikeman signs have been consistently taken and vandalized in Arcata and he is a life long democrat. Its the radical fringe nuts that are doing this - not mainstream democrats...

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make 1,000 signs. On one side print the word hello. On the other side print the word good-bye. Put them on lawns in Arcata and Eureka. A substantial number will be stolen or vandalized. Who do you blame? The political faction you disagree with, even thought the thefts and vandalism have nothing to do with politics. It just makes you feel like your on the right side and the opposition is on the wrong side.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, I'd say the graffiti(sic?) on the Flemming signs was politically oriented. They wrote comments regarding her supporting a needle exchange, among other things. No way to tell what mindset would have done that, though, as I believe her and Neely probably hold similar views on that issue, although I'm just guessing.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone noticed that the only candidate Captain Buhne isn't poking at is Bonnie Neely? Where is her fake candidate statement?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home