Thursday, May 25, 2006

Skeeter Alert!

They're here. I've been watching and waiting and they finally showed up: Mosquitos.

I figured we'll likely have another bad mosquito year with all the rain we've had. I wondered when they were going to start laying eggs in earnest. So, I have this wheelbarrow in my back yard, just outside the back door.

It was full of rainwater and, rather than dumping it out, as would seem the wise thing to do, I decided to leave it full of water so I could keep and easy eye out for mosquito larvae. Besides, the cats like to drink water from the wheelbarrow so it saves me the hassle of having to provide water for them when they're outside.

Not sure when exactly the larvae showed up but I just noticed them yesterday. I'd check the water at least every couple of days and hadn't noticed anything. Then, yesterday, I looked and didn't see anything and thought that was odd as the skeeters must be laying eggs by now.

I took another look and there they were. Not the bigger larvae, or whatever stage it is they're at right before they turn into flying bugs. They were small barely noticeable things probably not even a quarter inch long. Finally dumped out the wheelbarrow.

Now I have to be prudent and keep a close eye out for any containers outside that might be holding water. Mosquitos are a bad enough nuisance just by themselves. When the wife comes home later next month, they could be deadly. One of the many things you need to avoid when someone is immune deficient, is mosquitos.

So, all of you need to get up from your computers now, take about fifteen minutes and go outside and look for any receptacles that might be holding water and empty them out. Let's nip this thing in the bud before it becomes a problem.

2 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They come from Palco Marsh.

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They come from beyond.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home