Saturday, May 06, 2006

Your Papers Please!

For the record, I've yet to be stopped at a soboriety checkpoint myself.

These drunk driving checkpoints that are all the rage amongst both law enforcement and some in the general public are just one of my many pet peeves.

What burns me up the most about them is not so much the idea that you can be pulled over for no reason at all (although that is a concern, as I mention below), but that so many people think they're such a great idea, as this story from the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat points out.

Seems to me they started out simple enough, with a checkpoint being established somewhere and cops checking to see that no one's under the influence. I'm not sure I even like that as, even when I was going through the College of the Redwoods Police Academy, I didn't feel police should be stopping motorists without a proper cause.

That so much of the driving public accepts this as an acceptable intrusion upon their travels is of great concern to me, especially as these checkpoints seem to have progressed from, not just soboriety checks, but to driver's license and warrant checks as well.

What can we look forward to at these checkpoints in the future?

3 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

You can produce a Mexican drivers license, assure the Gestapo that you are a sober illegal alien (wetback) and go merrily on your way. Welcome to politically correct Mexifornia. Now which way were those rats going?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see the comments are so "civilized" here on Fred's blog. Such racist commentary is really a step up from Capt. Buhne's blog...

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps we can have checkpoints for articles of incorporation. anyone on the democracy unlimited list of corporate-involved people can be taken away by the suede-denim secret police to the happy camp for re-education.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home