Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Election Day and Sign Protocol

Ok, it's finally here. Time to go vote, for those that chose to do so. Elections officials are expecting a low turnout, as seems to be the case so often nowadays. I suspect here in Humboldt a low turnout will benefit the Left.

As I've said before, the Left has had the ball for some time and they're running with it. Now they smell blood and they're determined to further consolidate their power. That said, if they end up losing on both Measure T and Gallegos, that will be a serious blow to their morale.

We'll see what happens. As for myself, after voting I generally try not to pay attention to the poll results until at least the next morning, if then. Hey, I'm a Libertarian. I'm used to losing. Heck, we lose every day that Congress or the State Legislature is in session. I don't see any point in staying up late just to beat myself over the head with bad news.

There's nothing more depressing than staying up, as I did a few years ago, and the last thing you see before going to bed is Barbara Boxer giving her victory speech when her opponent conceded defeat.

Then, I get up next morning, turned on the news and there she is again in the same video clip giving the same speech. Yuck. Talk about adding insult to injury. What a way to start a day.

So, I'll probably just entertain myself on the laptop, playing my favorite online WW2 combat sim, Aces High, and wait until morning when the newspapers show up. Then I'll have no choice but to see the election results, although I'll probably get a preview on some of the news sites I visit earlier on.

One thing I will do tonight, though, is take down the signs in my front yard. I try to go out right as the polls close at 8pm and take down the signs. I'm pretty punctual about that. I think it's rude to leave the signs up for days, as some people do. I don't expect everyone to run out at eight o'clock and take down their signs, but they should come down sometime on Wednesday.

Oh, and don't forget to scrape those bumper stickers of your car as well. I'm sure we've all had enough of this election. We should give ourselves a break until the General Election season starts in earnest.

10 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Well, it's low here in Redway too, which is good for your side.

I understand your point about staying up. One thing about being a liberal in California, the urban areas always get their counts in last, so the news only gets better for us as the evening moves along. Generally speaking, I've noticed that if a liberal candidate or cause comes in within 10 percent behind after the first returns and absentee ballots, the liberal candidate or cause is in pretty good shape.

Didn't quite work that way in a recent election however when Orange County was having some difficulties in getting counts in. It was about 11:00 before they started to trickle in and all night I was waiting for a bomb to drop.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Do you hail from Orange County, Eric?

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

No, actually, I haven't spent much time in SoCal at all. I've been on the east coast more often. I've only visited OC once.

I was raised in the Bay Area - small town called Montara near Half Moon Bay.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Looks like Alameda will be slow tonight.

http://www.calitics.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=6BE5F16AF8DF5BECBA5C18D6C8CC55CA?diaryId=621

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a low vote turnout does not benefit the left.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm just saying the Left is more motivated right now as they "smell blood". I would think they'll be more motivated than Joe and Jill Sixpack to make a big strike against business with Gallegos and Measure T so ,if the turnout is low, that would give the Left a higher percentage of the vote, assuming they do, in fact, "get out the vote".

I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I am.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Well, it is what it is. Certainly, the centrists will be less of a factor because the bases are more motivated. Not sure whom that will help in this election.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

I don't perceive much blood smelling, except maybe by the Dikeman camp. But like you yourself have said, Fred, people's perceptions can be strikingly opposite despite exposure to the exact same data.

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we had a higher turnout Measure T would have won by even more.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

start forkin' over your hard earned dough to pay for the appeals, and cover the costs of its failure.

what? no dough? just food stamps?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home