Tuesday, June 06, 2006

HELP vs. Healthy

I'd almost forgot about the big row over the county general plan. Maybe that's because general plans and zoning aren't something that really grabs my interest, the Marina Center dispute aside.

So, I didn't even make the connection when I saw the full page ad in the Eureka Reporter this morning listing Humboldt County's Broken Promises. The list includes a number of issues regarding the General Plan and the Planning Department.

HELP Humboldt was listed at the bottom of the ad. I was wondering if we had yet another organization sprouting up with issues of one kind or another. Then, going to the web site they listed, I realized the ad was done by the Humboldt Economic & Land Plan (HELP). I'd forgot all about them.

Then I got to thinking: Hmmm... what's that org on the other side of the issue? Oh, that's it: Healthy Humboldt. I see they have a web site up too. At least they got their web site url right, ending it with .org rather than .com as HELP does.

Interesting how similar the wording on HELP's site is to Healthy Humboldt's.

3 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

Its not unusual for opposing sides to use the same wording since they are both trying to appeal to the public. Look at the "Healthy Skies Initiative" which allowed more pollutants into the air, or the "Healthy Forests Initiative" which allowed more trees to cut thereby damaging forests.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question is not "words" but actions - what have they done to promote - encourage - foster affordable homes and decent jobs?

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems HELP only wants to help themselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home