Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My First Exit Poll

I finally got to participate in one of those exit polls I've heard about. Those are the polls the media uses to predict the outcome of elections. They question voters as they leave the polling place and get a sample of how voters are voting. This one was a bit different as it dealt mostly with a primary election, although there were a few general questions that would apply to just about anyone.

So, I got done voting and, as I was leaving, a girl in the lobby stopped me and asked if I would mind taking the time for short poll. She had an L.A. Times button on her which I thought was odd, being this far north. I have to admit I wondered if she was going to pull some kind of scam on me.

I filled out the poll and put it in the box thinking it wasn't the kind of exit poll I'd expected. Dan Weintraub gave me the heads up on the poll results already having been posted online this morning. You can see the results of their poll here- .pdf format so you'll need Acrobat Reader to view.

I didn't answer the first few questions as I voted in the Libertarian Party primary. For those interested, for the What's your impression of... question, I voted Favorable for both Ahnold and Westly and Unfavorable for Angiledes.

I selected Approve for Ahnold's job performance, but that's one of those things where you need more than two choices to answer correctly, as I'm not all that happy with his performance.
Same thing with the question about Ahnold being a decisive leader; I chose Yes, but I don't know that I would really stand on that position.


I felt California is generally going in the wrong direction and that cutting services is generally the best solution to the state budget shortfall.

All in all not a really satisfying poll to take, but it's good to finally be included in an exit poll.

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any productive thoughts on this exit poll of sorts.

June 6, 2006 Green Election Results (Not Certified)

Humboldt County, California

Green Party of Humboldt County (GPHC) Steering Committee

Top 7 fill Seats

1. DANA SILVERNALE 995 13.41%
2. WILLIAM DICKINSON 958 12.91%
3. HANNAH CLAPSADLE 878 11.84%
4. SHAYE HARTY 762 10.27%
5. HEIDI L. CALTON 712 9.60%
6. J. AARON BUSALD 685 9.23%
7. XANDRA MANNS 683 9.21%

8. ERIC J. CLARKE 662 8.92%
9. ALICE L. WOODWORTH 608 8.20%
10. GREGORY P. ALLEN 452 6.09%
11. Write-in Votes 23 0.31%

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg Allen - BOOTED!

So now we know - he didn't have support from the party at all. All his talk otherwise was hot air. His was probably the best known name on this list, and yet he comes in...dead last. People know him and he was voted out. Good riddance.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

10:17 wrote: "Green Party of Humboldt County (GPHC) Steering Committee".

Indeed; Looks like Greg Allen got booted. The other two recommended by the Eureka Greens came in towards the end of the list.

I've said before I recognize Greg Allen and the Eureka Greens as being the more civil libertarian faction of the local Greens, with the Cobb/ Kaitlin and Smith bunch being the authoritarian faction.

From the County Council race results, it would appear the Humboldt Greens, for the most part, are pretty much philosophically positioned along Authoritarian lines.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred saying the Cobb/Kaitlin bunch is authoritarian just disinforms shallow readers and throws red flags up for people that have a street sense for Humboldt County politics.

Why some Green leaders like to make big decisions regarding the party without consensus, it always cost them in the end.

Consensus should not be confused with authoritarianism. Greens supported measure T because it made it through the consensus process.

Even Greg Allen could have contributed to measure T if he had only wanted too.

Wait a minute, what does this say in my notes, Greg Allen did contribute to Measure T.

The measure T group made 2 changes to the language based on Allen's input. What, county counsel approved these changes, according too my notes.

Now what does this say here... Greg Allen demanded that he was the only Green in Humboldt County qualified to work on Measure T and that everyone in the group must do exactly as he said or repurcussions would follow.

Then, according to said notes, Allen was politely shown the door.

The truth of the matter is Greens in Humboldt County are independent as hell and push local leadership to respond too important issues, not political personalities.

Green Factions exist at the state and national level among party leaderhip but are disappearing fast in Humboldt County. Just review those election results one more time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home