Tuesday, July 04, 2006

He Finally Got It?

Oh, I guess not.

I was surprised to see the subject line in an e-mail I received yesterday, via the Redwood Peace and Justice Center e-mail list, the words Global Cooling. At first I thought the guy who sent it, Arcata's lefty activist Fhyre Phoenix, might have finally realized that there is another line of thought in regards our climate; that being some climatologists think we may be moving towards another ice age (as was the prevailing theory back in the late 60s and early 70s).

Nope. I suppose that was too much to hope for. Instead, he was announcing a series of booklets he's developing for use at various levels of society suggesting ways individuals, communities and government can combat global warming by their own direct actions. He asks for suggestions. Two examples he uses are:

For example, municipalities may pass ordinances to:
· Ban the sale of non-florescent light bulbs.
· Require that all asphalt rooftops be painted white within two years.


Intersting ideas, the second one being a bit amusing, as well. Frightening also, in that people like myself would be required to pay every so many years to repaint their rooftops should his idea catch on in the right circles.

But, if you feel like joining in his project, send your suggestions to him at:

Fhyre Phoenix
P.O. Box 5082
Arcata, Calif. 95518
707-826-7367
fhyre@lycos.com

If nothing else it might be fun seeing just what other kind of "solutions" end up on his list after he's done with it.

4 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

I am not a scientist but, I think most of them agree that we are heading to an ice age, it will be here in about 10,000 years.

Most also agree that global warming, due to a wide range of human activity, is a major problem, right here, right now, and for the forseeable future.

And one of the most pressing problems with Global Warming, artifically induced (human caused) unstable atmospheric conditions, which tend to cause huge or not, dangerous and unpredictable storms.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I disagree. I think, as I've said here before, it's caused for the most part by solar activity. The space folks are saying the polar caps on Mars are receeding. I would think that would be due from solar activity.

Either that or all the pollution we're creating has a wider range of effects than we could ever imagine.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

I haven't seen any really impressive storms lately myself. I remember some really great ones back in the 80's though.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello??? Were you not here for the storm around New Years? hundreds of trees, ripped out of the ground.

Don't forget to tighten up those blinders around your eyes - wouldn't want to let one crack of reality slip in...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home