Tuesday, July 18, 2006

New Fish Place

I'm trying to figure out just exactly where this new Go Fish! place is. I know generally where it's is, but I can count on my hand how many times in a year I go to Old Town in Eureka so I'm not familiar enough with the waterfront to know exactly where everything is.

Interesting that the proposed development of the Balloon Tract was what motivated him to come out of retirement and open a restaurant there.

Seems to me, despite Eureka's reputation, we really don't have all that many seafood places here, at least not anymore. I remember we used to have Fog's Fish and Chips, Seafood Grotto and a few others, even the old "big box" fish place, Skippers. Most of those seem to have gone by the wayside.

Skipper's, believe it or not, was my favorite, if only because I like All You Can Eat fish and chips deals. Theirs wasn't that good, though, if only because they were brilliantly slow in refilling your plate so you'd get the sense of being full quicker. I really wasn't all that fond of their fish, just the all you can eat thing.

Best fast food fish and chips place I'd ever been to in my life was a place called Big Ben's Fish and Chips in Tustin, CA. That was back in the late '60s. I used to ditch school and head down there with a friend. They had big chunks of some kind of deep fried fish and big fried potatoes and an All You Can Eat deal around lunchtime.

That place had the looks of some english pub, complete with a dartboard. Used to stuff our faces there. That's where I learned the delights of malt vinegar. It went great with the fish.

I don't believe I've ever been to a place like that since. Anyone know of a good fish and chips place in Humboldt with an All You Can Eat deal? I don't know that I've ever seen anyplace like that here, save Skippers, and Skippers didn't even come close to Big Ben's. Maybe Go Fish! will? I'll be sure and stop by there and find out.

Then again, after thinking about it, as I've gotten older, I can't eat near as much as I used to. Seems to me last time I paid for some All You Can Eat deal, it would have been cheaper to just buy a regular meal, for the amount of food I ate.

5 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Waterfront next to the fish processing plant

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

use to be the Vista Del Mar

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I was thinking that might be the place. Couldn't remember the name, though.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Waterfront consistly does a great job with fish.

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went today and it was packed house! Food was OK. Hard to please so many with such few workers. I will try again though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home