Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ukiah Daily Journal Goes Interactive

I guess interactive is the right word.

I was doing my daily check of the Ukiah Daily Journal web site and noticed they 'd started a blog. Kind of hard to notice, at first. I noticed a link for K.C.'s Blog in the left sidebar, went there, and noticed the September 20 entry where he mentioned they'd started a "community bulletin board".

Doesn't look like anybody's taken advantage of the bulletin board as of yet. Have to keep an eye on it and see if anything develops. I can't help but wonder how many people in Mendocino visit the UDJ web page and would even be aware of the bulletin board? Then again, seems like a number of us frequent the Times- Standard's web page.

Moving even further into interactivity, I noticed mention that the UDJ has set up their online stories to accept comments, joining the evergrowing number of newspapers that are doing so. This is another one that might be slow to get going as the link for comments is quite a ways down towards the bottom of the page so not easily noticed.

My comments might be the first up there, so far, as I didn't notice any others. I first took the opportunity to ask a question brought up on Eric's blog regarding the death of D.A. Norm Vroman: How will this affect the D.A. race down there? Does Vroman's opponent win by default?

Scroll down and you'll see my comment. I have to wonder if any staff members monitor the comments? I'll have to remember to check back and see if my question is answered.

I also had to make a somewhat light hearted comment in regards to this story on the Ukiah Police Department using T.V. ads for recruiting. My comment being that "We have the potential to hit a lot of people" is probably a poor choice of words for a police officer trying to promote his department.

I wonder if the Times- Standard will follow suit and allow comments to their online stories? They're owned by the same company and seem to use the same webmaster. I checked earlier on and don't see any comments links yet.

I suppose- some of their staff having visited the local blogs- I wouldn't blame them if they didn't. They might want the headache of dealing with some of the outlandish comments we see here.


9 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

I've shut down my forum for two reasons:

One: I have a serious software problem on my forum that happens whenever anyone posts--their taken to a 404 "can't find page" as soon as they post to a topic. Have to use the "refresh" button to get back to the forum site. A stone drag that I've been trying to get the forum software people to help me correct for days now.

But even if I get that problem solved going from blog spot to forum hasn't stopped the same problem I had, Fred has, Eric has, all bloggers have around here, of idiot bloggers sound-bite brainless twit bloggers that seem to have nothing more to do than plague blog-spots and forums in order to play their dumb juvenile schoolyard put-down games.

Who needs anymore of that? I don't. It's a shame these dodos wreck decent dialogue venues but they do and I just don't have the patience to deal with them like Fred or Eric.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

It's hard sometimes, even with patience.

BTW, as I cross posted on Eric's blog, Interesting that I asked my question about Vroman a bit early. Today's UDJ tells how they'll handle it if Vroman wins come November: The Board of Supes will appoint someone for a full four year term:
the Ukiah Daily Journal too soon.
http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/local/ci_4386971

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, you have offended God. How dare you call Him a sound-bite brainless twit blogger? Repent Steve! Repent of your sins or face eternal damnation!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

How can the Impossible Apostle possibly offend God and face eternal damnation?

Nick, get a life. You've been gnashing your teeth ever since I closed down my forum and banned blog graffitti artists like you from my blog site. No outlet for your buzzed-brained one-liners must be tough on the ol' ego, eh?

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, get a life.

Farting around on the web IS Nick's life.

His myspace page says he's "26 years old". He's actually 34 or 35.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 33 years old -- like Jesus. And verily I say unto thee, the heathen infidels wouldst crucify me again if my Lord wouldst let thee! But He wouldst not!

Impossible Apostle, thou art Judas! Repent, false prophet! Repent I say! For the terrible day of Our Lord's Final Judgement draweth nigh!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

The terrible, a-paulling day doth drawth nigh, you got that part right..

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah , especially if we get , Lavallee as Mayor again . What a LIAR this clown is !

Alex L.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't elect anyone who belongs to the r.c.a.a.

Allison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home