Monday, October 30, 2006

Driscoll: We Can End Daylight Savings

The Times- Standard's, John Driscoll, seems to have had enough of Daylight Savings Time. He suggests Humboldt County lead the revolution against it.

Myself? As I said yesterday, I'm not sure that it's isn't more trouble than it's worth. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it this time as my attitude changes year by year.

I was looking forward to having the sun come up "earlier" but found, to some amusement yesterday, when it started getting lighter seemingly an hour earlier, I wanted it to stay dark longer. I like hiding in the darkness playing on my computer. Like I said, I can't do anything else until the sun comes up anyway.

As far as the sun going down earlier, I knew I probably wouldn't be happy about that. Yesterday, though, I didn't even notice when the sun went down.

So John, here's what we'll do: You set your clock back to where it was before Daylight Savings Time ended. Give that a try for a few months and get back to us. We'll see how it worked out for you. If it looks like a good deal, maybe the rest of us will follow suit and we'll have a revolution on our hands.

10 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

I agree with Driscoll completely on this issue. Maybe an initiative of some sort should be started.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick is a carpetbagger.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

What's a carpet bagger?

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpetbagger

"It was a derogatory term, suggesting an exploiter who does not plan to stay."

Ok, and I understand your concern. However, I do plan to stay. I plan on helping eureka thrive. Hopefully through my actions arcata will one day be just another suburb of eureka.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

If we did away with daylight savings, we would be where we are now, with the sun going down "sooner" rather than later. Driscoll has it backwards. We are now on Standard Time. Daylight savings ended Sunday.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

We need to stick to standard time.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Heraldo writes, "we would be where we are now, with the sun going down "sooner" rather than later.".

Yeah, the sun may go down sooner now, but it comes up "earlier".

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

Yeah, the sun may go down sooner now, but it comes up "earlier".

Right, but Driscoll complains that in the holiday season of eating and drinking is a bad time to take away evening light.

So if we did away with Daylight Savings, nothing would change in the holiday season.

Incidentally, Daylight Savings will be extended by almost two months next year. It will start in March (rather than April) and end in November. So the kids will have more light for Halloween, but I don't think that's the holiday Driscoll is talking about.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole debate is silly stuff. It doesn't make any difference. Obviously changing the clock does nothing to affect the sun. duh Schools and/or businesses that want to start in winter daylight should adjust their starting time accordingly. Let's stick to important things (like politics???)

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why hasn't Meserve championed this cause? Seems precisely the type of preface about Arcata he would giggle at hearing as he's introduced on whatever Fox news program is interviewing him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home