Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Unexpected Life Experiences: Good and Bad

I'd heard different versions of what happens when your first year of Yahoo DSL ends. You get it for $19.95 for a year ( I think they're offering for $14.95 now) and then it goes to the "standard" rate. I couldn't seem to get the right info on what the standard rate was even calling their 800 number.

So, earlier this summer, my introductory rate ended. I didn't even notice until I got my phone bill and it was close to $60.00. Yipes! That's a bit much for me. Turned out my DSL went from $19.95 to $49.95. What to do.

I kept telling myself I'd have to call up AT&T and dicker with them. I know you can do that with credit card companies. If that didn't work, I didn't have a problem with going back to Humboldt Internet, as they offer DSL and it was cheaper than AT&T was charging. Thing is, I didn't wan't to have to change my e- mail address again.

Kept putting it off and then noticed last month's phone bill dropped considerably. They were only charging me like $34.95 for DSL. Just got an e-mail explaining they'd dropped their rates, although they didn't say exactly why. Sure is nice when something nice happens out of the blue like that.
*******

Not sure things like that make up for the bad unexpected things that happen.

Go out to the garage to load up my equipment this morning and my garage door won't open. Wasn't totally surprised because I heard a weird noise when I closed the garage door yesterday. I couldn't figure out what the noise was and blew it off.

Turned out it was the counterbalance spring at the top of the door breaking. I guess you can't open the door at all if that goes south on you, which was a surprise. If you disconnect it from the chain drive, when it's working right, it rolls right up. With the counterbalance broke, it was all I could do to open it one foot. I'm stuck!

All my equipment is in the garage and there's no way to get it out. Called the Overhead Door Company in Eureka and have yet to have them return my call. Hey, any excuse for a day off is fine for me, but this is a bit much. I already lose too much time as it is.

Aside from losing money not working, how much is this gonna cost to get fixed? I'll bet hundreds of dollars minimum.

It's always something, isn't it?

8 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Cox cable, I mean suddenlink, coming out with a cheaper "lowgrade" cable internet plan at $24.95 a month might have been a selling point.

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ftyg, $500 coming your way...hope it helps.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About five years ago, Eureka Overhead Door company treated me very well. One visit, about an hour, maybe $130, and they fixed what had broken, tuned up all the new and old door and channel parts, and I haven't had any trouble since then.

What broke on my overhead door was different than what broke on yours, but I think you'll get good service at a good price.


By the Way, thank you for keeping us informed about the price changes with AT&T, etc.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I hope you're right about Eureka Overhead Door. They've yet to return my phone call, though. I guess I'll have to try calling them again.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Called them again and a very pleasant fellow said they should have someone out this afternoon.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to try to fix everything myself, under the illusion that doing it myself would be cheaper and better. Time and experience proved I was mistaken. Now I look for an experienced worker with a good reputation. I get much better results doing that.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger hucktunes said...

I got the SBC Yahoo DSL for 17 bucks a month for six months. Now I'm paying 30. They told me they would let me have it for 20 bucks if I agree to a year's service. But I may decide to move out of town with no broadband service. Fred, do you want a Gmail account? That's all I use. I've never even logged in to my SBC account. I'll send ya an invite if you'd like. My hucktunes.com account is also hosted by Gmail. Premium email sevices, pop and smtp, for free.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Uncle Enore said...

Do you people have Comcast up there?

Expensive net access, but it is superb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home