Sunday, November 19, 2006

Did You Feel It?

The earthquake that hit around five minutes before 7am this morning?

You'd think I'd be used to them after over 30 years up here, but they always put me on edge. You just never know if it's going to be just a short shaker or keep on going and end up being a big one.

This last one was just a couple second jolt that I could hear and feel as the house moved. Went to one of the earthquake web sites and they don't have this last one listed. I guess it wasn't a significant event.

This USGS map shows it. I guess it was only a 2, or so, on the Richter Scale. No big deal, except when you feel it and wonder if the big 'un is just behind it. Looks like the epicenter was a few miles east of Eureka.

Doesn't look like anybody's filled out the report form for this latest one, so I guess I will.

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

You should always have an emergency kit of some sort. We try to have enough stuff on hand to last a few days. We don't keep up on it as well as we should, though.

I used to store water, but you really need to refresh the water fairly regularly or it goes flat. I got tired of doing that. I've been thinking, but never get around to doing it, of buying a couple of those five gallon bottles of Crystal Springs water. I figure they might last longer than water I just put in bottles myself.

As an aside, I was reading something a while back in the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat about some guy that stockpiled emergency supplies. He kept them in his garage.

Seems to me that might not be the best idea. If you have a major earthquake, fire is a major consideration. If your house burns, so will likely the garage. Probably better to keep your supplies in some outbuilding.

Which is what we do: We have a bunch of stuff in our greenhouse. Problem is, again, you neglect it. I haven't looked at our sleeping bags in years. I suspect they're probably all mildewed.

We'll likely be shocked if we ever have to use any of that stuff and see the condition it's in.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People, don't you know the difference between an earthquake and Rob Arkley dropping his wallet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home