Thursday, November 02, 2006

Like Polls?

Then maybe you'll want to bookmark this site. I forgot all about them until I received an e-mail this morning asking me to participate in some online poll. Polling Point pretty much does what Zogby and some of the other polling outfits do, but I don't recall ever seeing their poll results reported anywhere.

The one I particpated in today was the first poll I recall being asked to participate in from these folks. This one asked about your political leanings and then went on to ask how you felt about various representatives on the federal level; Feinstein, Boxer and Thompson. Then they did a few questions on what seemed to be Feinstein vs. Mountjoy.

I get a little frustrated with polls like this one. They basically break the political spectrum into conservative and liberal, then ask if you consider yourself either of those or "middle of the road". What's a Libertarian to do? I chose Middle of the Road.

I suppose most people view politics as that simple, so that might work. Still, at least Zogby realizes there's more to it than that and includes libertarian as political ideology.

Even more frustrating was their bar scale representing political ideology with Liberal on the left and Conservative on the right. They asked you to pick the place on the scale where you felt the various representatives stood in regards their philosophy. Dianne Feinstein is an Authoritarian. How could you possibly rate her on a scale that just includes Liberal and Conservative? Place her in the middle?

Towards the end they asked for any suggestions as to how to improve their polling process. I suggested they try and do away with the Liberal vs. Conservative thing and try to include other options, pointing them to the World's Smallest Political Quiz as an example.

I suppose I wouldn't blame them for not going along with that suggestion, and I'm sure they've heard it before. If they did, they'd probably have to go into a big explanation of what the various ideologies stand for.

Anyway, if you want to be included in their polls, there's a place to sign up to be sent invites on their web site.

5 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric mentioned on his blog that internal polls have Glass & Kuhnel winning, with the other spots still up in the air. What are you hearing Richard?

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, FRED...I meant Fred, not Richard, as in Richard Marks, although I am interested in what ANYONE is hearing...

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://savetheinternet.com/

Check this out Fred...

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger samoasoftball said...

I have heard polls now from both sides. This will be a wild close finish!

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with online polls is that they are self-selected. Polling organizations like Zogby use "scientific" methods for choosing whom to poll and they disclose the types of people they question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home