Friday, November 03, 2006

North Coast Journal Stuff

All kinds of stuff in the North Coast Journal this week, and I'm just looking at the online version.

Our very own Hank Sims is back with his Town Dandy column after a one week hiatus. He's ragging on Howard Rien and the Humboldt Taxpayer's League again- The Taxpayer's League for their somewhat low key campaign against the extension of Eureka's Utility Tax.

Sims laments that the League doesn't have a spiffy campaign slogan this time around like they did back in their campaign against the county wide sales tax, Measure L. He suggests the League use something like F**k U! as the campaign slogan.

Cute Hank. Real cute. Do we really need the nasty language though? Hey, I've got a dirtier mouth than most but I still think swear words look bad in print, most of the time anyway. How about Poo On U instead?
**********
Then the Journal almost witnesses an elections test snafu involving County Elections dude, Lindsay McWilliams, testing the our voting machines. Turns out it wasn't a malfunction of the machines but he'd inserted the wrong test ballots. Wonder if Dave Berman was there?

I'll be the first to admit I'm not all that fired up about either elections reform or issues of accuracy in tabulating votes. As long as they're run by people, things are going to get screwed up. Still, I want to have accurate vote counts as much as anybody else.

Here's an interesting, albeit lengthy article on voting problems around the country. It mentions, in a sidebar, the suggestion by some that voting officials, like our Secretary of State position, be "non- partisan professionals".

Come on now. Does anyone really think that making a position non- partisan makes the person holding that office non- partisan? Sorry. You're just kidding yourself. Sure, there are people that are even handed and don't take partisan sides on issues, but just making the position non- partisan doesn't really do anything in ensuring that.
********
Now here's one that caught my eye: The Journal is looking for freelance journalists to submit items for publication, and they'll pay you for them. I'll have to see if I can come up with something. Maybe I can make a few extra bucks?

I always hated having to write stuff in school. Didn't know what to write about and hated the deadlines. Doesn't look that this deal would really require a deadline, unless you were writing about something that required timeliness in publication. I'll have to keep this in mind, although not sure that I write well enough for the Journal's high standards.

So how much money could I make doing this? I just counted the words I've written above and that's 433. Boy, that doesn't even make it to their Short Story category, which pays $40 for five to six hundred words. Oh well, I'm sure that's not cast in stone. Besides, I've written stuff way over five hundred words here before.

I'll find something to send in one of these days.

29 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes you are Hank and I loved your piece about dirty politicking.

Thanks -

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and Hank - are you really a Zappa fan?

Handsome and has fabulous taste in music!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Simmer down, girls -- I'm already spoken for.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but we can dream....and its more of a boil handsome.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too hot for me

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not for me - Hank the stud muffin!

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - its lust and lattes in the morning over Hankster the Prankster.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hank-who says the posters are 'girls'?

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Sorry. "Women," I meant.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got that right big boy!

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute?...brains?... and a wicked wit?
What's not to like!

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evidently, the Hankster didn't know that hearts have been breaking all over the county for him!

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any truth to the rumor that Hank IS Anon.R.Mous?

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go away 2:03, this is a lustfest for Hank.

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I donno about that but I sure have been LAUGHING OUT LOUD LOL ROTFLOL with the Town Dandy.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, give the Town Dandy a squeeze for me.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hank has no little soldiers. Just thought you ladies might want to know.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hank Really, 'They' could be men...

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why'd ya remove the link to the lyrics Fred?

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Now would she have felt differently if Hank said he was an Eagles fan?

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Eagles.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Don't be spreading vicious defamatory lies, Kirk.

Yes, I owned "Hotel California" in the seventh grade, but I only listened to it once. Maybe twice.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I'll bet you still know the guitar solo note for note!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Beedle wheedle wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
buddah whee, wheedle wheedle wheeeeee...
(buddah whee-wah!)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah
Beedle whee wah, beedle dah buh daaaaah...

Whaddle beedle deedle doddle deedle doddle doodle doddle deedle
Bwah. Wheep! Deedle deedle deedle dah,

buddah dee dee
Daaaah, dah dee dee,
Daaaah, dah dee dee

(Repeat following 700 times)
DEE-dah-doo dee-DAH-doo dee-doo
DEE-dah-doo dee-DAH-doo dee-doo
DEE-dah-doo dee-DAH-doo dah-doo
Waaaaa?

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the Eagle's "Hotel California"?

Back when the Works used to sell stereo equipment, I hung out there all the time listening to that album.

I think I just heard my kid say, "what's an album, daddy?"

Please don't anyone talk about 8-tracks or reel-to-reel. I don’t want to date myself.

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got the whole set-up on my desk (big desk). I can copy anything to anything, and improve its sound in the process. LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes, reel-to-reel and all that new stuff too. Oooo, I'm bad! Dated, maybe. But Baaaad!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

My blog is down in that it won't accept comments being published, not even mine. Fred? Anyone?

Oh, Hank, would you publish anything I wrote in your free lance journalist offer? Are communitarians allowed to publish in the NCJ or is it strictly for Progs?

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several local blogs were not able to accept comments last night (Friday), Sunspots, Maybe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home