Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sommerville Fights Back

I suppose editor of the Times- Standard, Rich Sommerville, isn't really fighting back, as he seems pretty calm about it, but he addresses bias in newspapers in his column this morning.

I've mentioned my own feeling on the issue here before. Sure, there might appear to be deliberate bias because of frequency of reporting on a given issue more than one would think necessary, but I think that's because of a natural tendency for reporters (heck, anyone for that matter) to hang around people they know and deal with subjects which interest them.

Most of the time I've seen people complain of bias in the newspapers, it's because the story wasn't written the way a reader might have liked it written.

I had to bring up, in a comment to the T-S web site, I remember a while back when the T-S ran two different letters to the editor side by side one day. One letter accusing the paper of right wing bias, the other accusing of a left wing bias.

Cracked me up. Brilliantly done. They should do that more often.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tired of all these editorials talking about how we are misunderstood... how everyone thinks we are biased...How we get letters, and they say mean things....

Just start reporting ... and make sure you do both sides, and quit whining, Winkler made a fine art of it and now this guy is taking it over?

If you don't have anythign better to say...........don't .... say ... anything..... AT ALL!

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich Somerfly along with The Times Standard are the biggest pests in the west !They keep pestering me to subscribe to their GADFLY newspaper almost daily with their annoying phone calls .

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IT's SOMMERGADFLY silly ! ( two m's for this pest )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home