Wednesday, February 14, 2007

California Insider Moves On

Last week some of the local bloggers seemed to take offense at Times- Standard editor, Rich Somerville's, opinion piece where he suggested at least some blogs don't provide inaccurate information. Some bloggers, in return, were predicting the demise of the print media as a result of what they see as biased news reporting.

I think there may be some truth to that but, bottom line as I see it, is that bloggers generally get fodder for their commentary from the mainstream news media, whether it be hard copy, television or internet. In most cases that will involve paid journalists. To suggest that paid journalism and newspapers in general are headed to oblivion, I'd be careful in doing.

Some certainly like to think that internet based news will eventually lead to the end of the hard copy version, but how will they make enough money to pay the reporters that provide the news?

Most newspapers seem to be providing some sort of web site to view their material on nowadays, but could web based news ever replace the hard copy's revenue of paid advertisements- which I understand is the main source of revenue for newspapers? I don't know.

Nonetheless, some news groups and commentators are exploring the use of paid subscription based web sites, The Wall Street Journal being one that at least requires a subscription to access some of their sections and there's more joining the paid web site club everyday.

I just noticed the Sacramento Bee's, Dan Weintraub, is moving his California Insider blog to a paid subscription site- the Sacramento Bee's Capitol Alert. Bummer. I always look forward to seeing what he comes up with each day.

So should I go along and pay for a subscription to that site? After all, if these guy's don't make money, who's going to provide our news?

I guess not. The $499 a year subscription rate is a bit much for this bloggers pocketbook. I can only hope the Sacramento Bee and other newspapers continue to make enough money to provide the news the way I'm getting it now.


7 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's TV news that is in trouble. I read 5 newspapers, but no longer watch KIEM and cable news networks.

I read more complaints about the exhaustive coverage of the astronaut and Smith stories this week than I actually read stories about those events. In fact, I read the paragraph summary on CNN's front page for both stories, but nothing more. They were fluff distraction stories, so I skipped them in favor of real news.

CNN is moving toward online video reports, but they're a dumb corporation. They use a proprietary Microsoft format Mac/Linux users have trouble with. I'm a Windows user and I have trouble with it half the time (audio, but no video). As a corporation, they will always have a primary agenda that is not about serving the user. Alternative online news "networks" will continue to speak directly to users in ways they find acceptable.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Rose said...

"...could web based news ever replace the hard copy?"

I hope not.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7:43 I agree. TV news is often not news at all but some fluff story about nothing news worthy. If newspaper companies could switch to the net and still gain ad revenue it sure would save a lot of paper.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Derchoadus said...

I used to watch CNN Headline news while getting ready for work, 0610-0630. 4 years ago it was just quick all world news recaps, no fluff. Now it's run by some talking head bimbo, trying to become a chick oriented show like the View. No news, all fluff. Bah! This is Headline News fer godess's sake...Now I get all my news from the Internet, except for commentary from Olberman. I still like Countdown.

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! CNN is increasingly making its top news stories be linked as video-only. I go to Google News and run a query to READ the story, rather than navigate CNN's video maze. Reading is faster, even when backtracking through Google News.

TV news is doomed. A sign of its demise is the signal to noise ratio. The cable news networks have dumbed down their content over the past decade until there's very little hard news being reported.

The single best thing you can do for your mental health is to program out cable news from your TV's list of known channels.

Newspapers are safe until technology improves. One day, if corporations agree on a standard, we'll be using electronic paper (it already exists) , scroll screens (also already exists, the screen pulls out of a handheld device like a roll of paper) and tablet PCs with screen resolutions rivaling the printed page (again, this already exists). Bring the price down, standardize the technology and get them into 70 percent of homes and the daily newspaper will be dead. Weeklies and specialty publications will still find a niche.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I am old-fashioned and like the feeling of holding a newspaper in my hands and read to get my information. My eyes get too tired reading a computer screen. I like listening to the radio to local news on KMUD.
Countdown with Keith Olbermann is the only network TV I can find that is worth watching.

The blogs are a source of entertainment and opinion. They are interesting because you can connect with people you disagree or agree with and you never meet them.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Richard Jennings said...

FYI - You can free access to Wall Street Journal and other sites with a netpass from: http://news.congoo.com

Poytner was blogging this the other day and I thought it was a great tip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home