Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Your Choice For Best Services

I see Cap'n Buhne is following the lead of Richard Marks and listing his favorite watering holes (past and present), Marks having run a couple threads earlier on the best eaterys around the county.

Well, it's that time again with the Times- Standard. Their Best of the North Coast polls are up and running again. This week they ask for your vote for the best local services. You can participate online or by mailing in the poll provided in their daily hard copy.

Not being one to get out much, I'm hard pressed to make more than a handful of choices.

I never saw the results of last year's Best of the North Coast poll. Somehow I missed the results that came out in hard copy. When I asked then editor of the T- S, Charles Winkler about it, he said they'd be online soon but I never saw them show up. Maybe I'll catch them this time?

7 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Anyone else having problems with the online poll? It won't submit the ballot when I try it. Says connection timed out.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those "best of" polls are bunk. Whomever mobilizes the best voting effort to manipulate the outcome wins.

The point of the whole thing is advertising. More connections made between ad reps and businesses. And the "winners" proudly display their certificates in their stores, which is just free advertising for the TS. Same goes for the Journal.

I'd love to see a scientific poll conducted. The results might be surprising.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, no one said the poll was scientific and I suppose there's something to be said for a person or business that can rally enough votes to win.

I've tried to get a fairly large family to participate to try and get a family member to win and that got nowhere.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you such curmudgeons? Sure its a popularity contest, designed to honor and reward self promotion and guage reader interest.

So, do you complain about commercials that say so and so endorses the use of such and such product? Or the local parade of "celebrities" who tout the latest venue, fund raiser or charitable cause. BTW I just got raffle tickets from the VFD in the mail touting a valentines ball. I'm happy to place it into the circular file.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite "Best of" winner was a third place showing in the seafood restaurant category for Lazio's. Lazio's by that time hadn't been in business for nearly 5 years. Laurie Lazio wrote a letter to the editor of the T-S thanking them just the same. It was quite a hoot.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I don't think any of my picks ever came in near the top.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the KFC and Hometown buffets aren't as popular with most people as they are for near indigent retired curmudgeons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home