Sunday, March 25, 2007

Stancliff On Blogging

Not quite sure what to make of Dave Stancliff's My Word piece on blogging in today's Times- Standard. The first thing I'm wondering is how many readers know what a blog is?

Sure, I know all of us do. The Times- Standard has also addressed blogs at one time or another so I would think most readers might have a rough idea of what they are, but I still wonder how many people would know what Dave is writing about. I run into people all the time that don't know what a blog is and still don't seem to understand after I try and explain it to them.

I'm also not sure what blog Dave is referring to when he says;

When you call up this Web site you now get a blog listed below it.

-that web site being North Coast Stand Down's web site. I don't see any blog listed at the bottom of their home page. Am I missing something?

Oh, by the way, Dave: You got the url wrong for the Stand Down web page. It's www.northcoaststanddown.org, not www.northcoaststand.org.

7 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't agree with what he says about signing your name to every post to give it credibility. As with all information: Consider the source. Also, signing your name to every post you write may hinder your ability to speak freely for fear of retribution. The Reggae debacle is a perfect example: The middle of the road people may be old time friends of Carol and PB, however they may not want to have their community center stolen..So posting under anon is an easy way to communicate.

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you guys think Rob Arkley put him up to it? It has to be Arkley's fault!

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the old regime that can't handle anonymous comments. It's an easy way to dismiss criticism out of hand.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This search gives you blog references to Stan. He was on Anon.R.Mous' blog apparently in a post that seems to be deleted.
http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=%22Dave+Stancliff%22&btnG=Search+Blogs

My impression is the guy god confused when he came across his name on a blog one day and somehow thinks it's related to the stand-down folks.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

What's distracting is that the TS editors appear to have gone to sleep with the grammar. Spellcheck doesn't catch everything guys!

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a Brave New World out there in Blog Land, and I admit I still don't fully understand everything about blogging.
Where am I coming from?
I'm not a conservative or a liberal.
I don't work for anyone nor do I have axes to grind. I'm simply a student of the world whose only recently returned from my own "heart of darkness."

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record; I'm the PR guy for North Coast Stand Down, and
I didn't get the url wrong...the TS did.
We must all try to be careful not to assume anything about a person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home