Monday, June 11, 2007

Roller Derby Comes To Humboldt

I never watched roller derby much as a kid back when it was on T.V. all the time. When I did, I think I just liked the fights, even though I was never quite sure whether the fights were staged, or not.

For the most part I thought roller derby was lame. For once I must not of been alone as roller derby pretty much fell into obscurity over the years and I hadn't heard much of it for decades.


But it's making a comeback. The
Times- Standard story in today's paper wasn't the first time I'd read about the resurgence of roller derby, and there's new teams and leagues popping up all over.

When I saw the headline I was thinking they can't be serious. But they are, and after reading the story, and the full back page of A section explanation of the game and some of the lingo, my interest was piqued a bit. Now that I know how the sport is played, it almost seems like it could be fun.

Still, the idea of watching a bunch of guys or girls skating around a small track doesn't get me too excited. They need a bigger track, maybe four times bigger than the ones they skate on now, but I'm sure the size of the track is dictated by the rules of the game.

The question for Humboldt is where will the sport take place: At the Blue Lake skating rink? Isn't that the only one in the county? I don't know as I'm not a skater. Any ideas?


7 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Carol said...

They have roller skating at the Fireman's Pavillion in Rohner Park in Fortuna.

I am a better skater on blades not wheels.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I think I read somewhere that they have roller skating, on occasion, at the Eureka Muni.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off Topic

Fred, Here's some news that you might consider:

Study: Salvage logging, replanting worse

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_on_sc/wildfire_logging_2

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah back in the day it seems they had skating every friday night at the muni- those were the days.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - what a deep article from the TS. Guess that other "news" like the crime beat or the no brainer murder trial that hung isn't really news to us. Yes, keep us in the dark TS.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah TS, don't scoop the competition with immigration raid stories. We want no brain stories like 8:47 said.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true we need a bigger track and we are looking for a large vacant building to rent. Nothing is staged in our league.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home