Thursday, July 19, 2007

Everybody Needs A Cause

I guess everybody, myself included, has to have some sort of cause to fight for. I'll never understand the ones obsessed with gay marriage, though. In this case, certain groups seem to feel really threatened by the idea that gay people might end up married and even go so far to worry that gay couples might benefit from domestic partnerships.

How silly. I thought that fight was winding down. I guess not.

I won't be signing those petitions.
**********
Then there's Eureka resident, Susan Morton, whose cause seems to be getting people to stop buying bottled water. See; there's someone that can be found to fight for just about any cause.

Actually, she makes a good point about bottled water. I think we have fine tap water up here. I've never understood why people buy so much bottled water. That doesn't mean I don't think people shouldn't be able to buy bottled water. I'm not sure whether she's suggesting that, or not.
********
We do have good water up here.

When I was with the national guard, we used to take a big water tank to annual training with us. We called it a water buffalo. A 500 gallon tank with some faucets at the bottom to supply water to troops in the field.

It was a sad day, indeed, when the water buffalo ran dry. Then we had to drink the worst water I've probably ever had in my life: Tap water at sunny Camp Roberts, CA. It tasted awful, having sulfur or some such in it. Worst part is you could drink it and drink it and it didn't ever quench your thirst and you had to drink a lot of water down there because it got really hot.

Bottled water was fairly popular at Camp Roberts back then, long before it became the rage it is today.
********
When the wife was staying in San Francisco her and the niece pretty much lived on bottled water. She said the tap water was really bad. I never tried it but using it to brush my teeth didn't bother me. It did surprise me, though, as I thought San Francisco got its water from the Sierra Nevadas. How could mountain water taste bad? Maybe it's something with the plumbing?

5 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Carol said...

SF water comes from Hetch Hetchy Resevoir. It was probably the plumbing that made her water taste so bad. We had our well watered tested a while ago and it was fine. We use a water filter, though.

I am afraid that water will be the issue that will probably fuel future wars

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not water. We will fight about our favorite celebrities.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Kristabel said...

Fred, I saw this article this morning and had to laugh. Since I'm on my second round with giardia in less than a month from water that came right out of my faucet, I'm thanking the gods for bottled water.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget about water. The only cause for war in Humboldt would be a shortage of the most often consumed liquid, beer.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old houses sometimes have mineral deposits inside the water pipes. I had some of them replaced at my house. I discovered that Eureka water is great! It was my house water pipes that made the Eureka water taste bad. Now I don't need expensive bottled water and I am helping to fight greenhouse gases and Global Hottening by drinking clear, cool, water from my very own taps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home