Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Freshwater Gets Fish Ladder

I wanted to comment on today's Times- Standard story regarding the fish ladder that's been installed at the dam at Freshwater County Park but, since the story doesn't seem to be available online, I guess I won't.

Except to say I'm somewhat puzzled that it looks like it took a while to figure out how to get the ladder set up right.

I believe I was in elementary school when I first read about fish ladders. I probably didn't read much but, whatever I did read, gave my young mind the impression that fish ladder technology was pretty well established and that fish ladders were a common addition to dams on waterways with migratory fish.

Apparently my impression was wrong and there aren't that many fish ladders actually in use, even today? Does Ruth Lake have fish ladders on its dam? I've only been there a few times and can't remember if it did or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home