Saturday, July 21, 2007

Redway Gets Affordable Housing

The Redwood Times reports on the grand opening of the Redwood Village Apartments in Redway. Those apartments being billed the supposed affordable housing we keep hearing we need more of.

Not much to see in the picture provided. I would have like to see something taken a little further away to get a sense of what these apartments look like. I'll just assume they're something along the line of the apartment projects scattered around other towns that the various housing authorities put up and maintain.

The sight of them isn't something that gets me all excited and wanting more of them, not that they're all that bad.

So how much does affordable housing actually cost?

I'm guessing it must be less than $1000 per month as that's what the one guy said he was paying to stay at a local motel- not a bad price for staying at a motel, by the way. Anyone know what kind of rent these places go for? In all the talk about affordable housing, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone define just what affordable is.

Second question: What's does one pay for rentals in Southern Humboldt? For some reason I've been under the assumption places would rent cheaper down there than up in north county.

6 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

$400 to $800 for a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment in Arcata. I assume Eureka is in the same ballpark, or lower. In the $1000 range I would be looking at a small house just outside of Arcata.

People opt for the $1000/month for a motel room presumably because they can't afford (don't save up to afford) first and last month's rent and the deposit. Or maybe they simply present themselves as unappealing tenants.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's an "unappealing tenant" under California law?

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Probably someone who doesn't pay their bills. If so, I'd agree with that one.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6:36 is pretending that we live in a country ruled by laws. ROFL! Good one. And don't even get me started about the Constitution, I'm on heart medication and I just couldn't take the laughter.

Oh, I don't know, if I were a landlord and you came to me hauling your possessions in a stolen shopping cart and you talked to me with a mouth devoid of teeth, rotted out from a decade of meth addiction, uhh, I might not want you renting from me. I'm just sayin...

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arcata has its transients. Eureka has its meth heads. When a person has held either status for a significant period of time, they are easy to spot, and I expect have trouble finding a job or getting an apartment.

At least being homeless you can clean yourself up and change your appearance. With meth, sorry, but you can't get your jaw back. It's nearly impossible to drive through old town and downtown without seeing these folks.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

these are the "affordable housing" rates for the units off giuntoli in arcata:


HUD income limits apply (up to $21,660 for 1 person, for ex.); Sect. 8 welcome.

1, 2 and 3-bedroom units, including ADA units.

1-bedroom units are $431/month, with $431 deposit.

2-bedroom units are $547/month, with $547 deposit.

3-bedroom units are $619/month, with $619 deposit.

Includes water, sewer, and garbage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home