Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Water Stuff

I love the sound of rain on a summer morning. Love the feel in the air, too. Doesn't look like this bit of rain we're getting now is going to amount to much, though. Too bad.

I don't know that I'd want it to rain all summer long, but maybe once a week would be nice.
*********
We don't have it so bad up here, as far as water goes, as others do. Sonoma County is enforcing water restrictions now while trying to maintain water levels in the Russian River and Lake Mendocino. They've even got water cops going around placing warnings with people they find wasting water. If corrections aren't made, water users face stiff fines.

That's one government job I wouldn't mind: Water cop, or water nazi for those that like to throw around the n word. I don't know that we need such critters up here as I've heard nothing about water shortages in Humboldt. Still, I do see people wasting water now and again up here and I don't like people wasting water.

One of the guys who worked at the group home that used to be across the street from my house seemed to have a thing about water. He'd stand out in front of the house hosing down the front porch and sidewalk for what seemed like an eternity- long after any cleaning function had been completed. Drove me nuts.

A couple weeks ago I was over at St. Joseph's Hospital and, as I went in the main entrance, there's a guy hosing down the sidewalk in front of the entrance. I come out maybe 25 minutes later and he's still hosing down the sidewalk, occasionally directing the spray on some of the shrubbery nearby. Just getting the foliage wet, not seeming to get any water to the roots.

What the heck was he doing? That's no way to water the plants and the sidewalk had long since been washed off.

Wonder what St. Joe's water bill is each month if he does that all the time?

I suppose we all tend to think everyone else wastes water but ourselves. I suppose I'm guilty of that as well, but I really do try to not use more water than necessary. About the only time I feel guilty about my water use is when I need hot water. In this house it seems like you have to run the hot water for five minutes before you finally get even warm water.

That, and washing my truck, but I haven't washed my truck in months. But that's not so much because of the water conservation issue. That's mostly because I'm lazy.

15 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,for a neat project for yourself,build a water tower.I put one up a few years ago,it's about oh 10 ft.tall or so,but the stand itself is about 5 ft.,then I just used some large,hollowed out wine barrels.I guess it might be able to hold 30 gallons of water at full capacity(probably underestimating,as I've never let it get even close to being totally full).Don't do what I did though which is put it somewhere pretty much unaccessible,and near plants which don't need a whole lot of water.
I saw in that times-standard article about Brian Wilson,he had something built quite similar,although his looked larger,but built with a plastic tub of some sort,and is built to hold more water.And I think that the article mentioned that he only uses that rain water runoff that he collects in his tower for his watering needs.
Again,place it in a smart spot where it's easy to use.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats kinda funny is up here I would say 70-80% of homedwellers dont seem to care about their lawns. Just drive through Eureka this time of year and the house with a trimmed green lawn is a rarity. Yet you go where water is scarce and it seems like 70-80% of folks have nice green lawns. I realize lawns are wasteful and take up alot of water but we could do better up here.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

And most people that do water their lawns do it "wrong". Not sure how wasteful watering wrong is but it's just annoying to me cause I seem to always be dealing with wet lawns.

It's best to deep water lawns: An inch or so a week and do it all at once. Most people seem to have their sprinklers set to go on for 45 minutes, three times a week, or a half an hour every day.

Best way is to find out how long it takes for the sprinklers to deliver an inch to an inch and a half of water and just do that once a week. Back when I used to water my lawn, I believe it took three or four hours to really soak it in.

The only places were lawns need to be watered frequently are where there's sandy soil that doesn't hold water well. Up here the clay soils hold water for a relatively long time.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I have seen rain barrels similar to what you describe, mresquan, in garden catalogues. One concern is mosquito breeding.

I am looking forward to today's rain. We had a few sprinkles this morning.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its funny- I think we up here are more aware of water and its value than most other places.

The 21st century is not going to be about oil- its going to be about water.

Already piggies are forming 'companies', buying up water rights.
Imagine not being able to afford water. And no way to get any.......

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right 11:32,exactly why people should start building water storage units now.Not only will the water be expensive in short enough time,but so will the apparatus needed to build storage tanks.I imagine that when the powers that be have their way,I'll have to get a permit for mine,and who knows what I'll get charged for that.
And just wait until governments turn the tide and decide that fluoride is indeed harmful and municipalities need to have it removed from anything that it's come into contact with.Just like asbestos.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Carol wrote, "One concern is mosquito breeding.".

Indeed. One thing you could do is use those mosquito dunk things. They're little donut shaped things that float on the surface of the water and release Bacillus Thuringisus(sic?). Kills mosquito larvae but noting else.

They used to be available at Pierson's. Don't know if they still carry them.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They pretty much have everything you need to build one at Pierson's and at Water Planet Garden Supply.I don't know for sure,but I'd imagine that both even would set you up with the storage unit as well.
I put in 2 of those donut shaped things(can't remember what they're called),plus Water Planet gave me a small bottle of some organic substance to add to the water which will deter insects.Works fine so far.
But yes,you can pretty much can get everything you'd need at either of these places,including filtration systems(don't have one,only use the water for plants) to purify drinking water.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Goldfish can help east mosquito larvae. After the Blue Heron ate my goldfish, I started getting mosquito larvae. Got more goldfish, and now there are no mosquito larvae. Mosquito Dunks is the correct name for the product.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you stop folks from hosing down their driveways/walkways, etc, they won't use brooms. They'll start with those damned leaf blowers. Don't you hate walking or driving past someone using one of those and get to breathe their cloud of dust?
And the noise! It's worse than listening to Rosie O'Donnells voice!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calm down folks. We have more than enough water. During the water bag proposal I remember reading somewhere that the water system on the Mad could support an additional 300,000 people. That doesn't include the industrial use, or what is left behind for the environment. That doesn't mean we should waste, but if your hooked up the the Mckinleyville, Arcata, Eureka water system you will always be with water. Now, the folks in the hills and other areas, that is a major problem. It looks like were heading into another drought and now we have 3-4 times the number of homes on these independent systems. Those are the people who shouldn't have lawns and those are the people who may have to stop watering gardens.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, here is that website i was talking about where i made the extra cash.. later! i'm going to cali next week..check this out

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, here is that website i was talking about where i made the extra cash.. later! i'm going to cali next week..check this out

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Fred's been spammed. He'll fix it.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about negative ions in a hospital zone. Just what the doctor ordered.

Either that, or the guy with the hose has found a restful way to spend time when he should be working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home