Friday, August 17, 2007

Housing Rights

I'll have to agree with the gal that wrote this piece in this week's North Coast Journal. It sounds like she got the run- around by the landlords in her attempt to rent from them.

Then again, I don't know what she looks like and how she might come off in person so maybe there might have been some red flag the landlords perceived with her? Hmmm... but if that were that case, and I was the landlord, I just wouldn't have called her back.

So then the girl goes on to what seems to be the crux of her story: Your supposed rights as a tenant.

Interesting that she doesn't say that she tried to apply them in her rental attempt, although she suggests that others in similar situations do.

Perhaps she realizes that renting a place under legal threat might not result in a very happy home in either the short or long run. Might it be best to move on and look elsewhere, like she apparently did?

6 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Derchoadus said...

Fred Said:
I don't know what she looks like and how she might come off in person

????What she looks like, Fred? You mean like Black, or Mexican? I don't think that should matter. What does that have to do with it, besides being illegal? She gave rental history and authorized a credit check. Sounds like a case of discrimination.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

There are any number of people I've seen, here and elsewhere, that I would never want to rent to. We all know what I'm talking about: The riff- raff and flakes that abound just about anywhere.

It can go even further than that. Some people may come off wrong to you. Maybe this gal's personality just rubbed the landlords the wrong way.

Maybe they felt she might give them problems. I'm not sure I'd want to rent to someone that I felt might try to sue me. Of course, she might not have mentioned any such thing to the landlords, but she did in her NCJ article. Might something in her persona given the landlords the impression that she might try and pull some legal maneuverings with them?

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

I think Fred means the GREAT UNWASHED.

Would you rent to someone that hasn't washed him or herself in a week and stunk and was barefoot and dirty?

Now she wrote the piece, but she never filed a claim, is that what you also got from the story?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Well since she did eventually find a place,I'd think she'd have some luck with her complaint.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at Fred's picture, I'd certainly never rent to him, filthy disorderly house, clothed like a street bum. For Fred, to whom appearance is very important, you'd think he'd improve his appearance. But Fred sees fault only from his prejudices and never examines his own behavior in the same way.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's probably one of those snotty broads with dreadlocks. Just because someone is a landlord doesn't mean they have to rent to anyone who fills out an application.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home