Sunday, August 19, 2007

No More C Notes

More counterfeit bills circulating in Eureka. Nothing new there, I suppose.

The easy way to solve the problem, at least with large denominations is just to stop accepting large bills. I've seen a few places in town that have notices saying they don't accept $50 and $100 bills. I believe Taco Bell is one of them. Good for Taco Bell.

Problem is, what do you do if someone goes into a restaurant, orders a meal, then tries to pay with a $100 bill claiming he didn't notice the sign? That could cause a problem. I'd suggest taking the bill only after seeing ID and taking a photo of the guy.

Sure, might seem a bit rude for a business to go after a customer for trying to use a large denomination bill, but I think people that carry around 50 and 100 dollar bills for regular use are rude themselves.

Not only is there the problem of counterfeits, it can make giving change problematic. I know I've worked at places where giving change could be a problem on days where we'd receive a bunch of just $20 bills. You can run out of change five times as fast if everybody came in paying with $100s.

I have a couple customers who often pay me, all or in part, with $50 or $100 bills. They get the money from the bank, of course. I can't help but wonder why they don't get their money in smaller denominations?

I shrug it off and don't spend them. I take them to the bank and have them broken down into $10 bills. Too bad everyone else can't seem to do the same.




4 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't want my money, you don't get my business.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really not that hard to tell a real bill from a fake. You would have to be retarded or have no verification process at all.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, sometimes there are counterfeiters that come up with some good stuff that's hard for most people to tell.

A few years ago I was asking one of my credit union gals about it. She said she could tell just by the feel of the bill. She said they just don't feel right.

Ever since she told me that nearly every bill I handle doesn't feel right. I guess when I find the one that does feel right, that will be the counterfeit one.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, check out the 1:18 post in your skunk thread.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home