Sunday, December 16, 2007

Blood Bank Does Transplant Stuff

There's something I didn't know: The local blood bank is actually doing some of the preliminary work for typing of bone marrow transplant donors.

Well, mresquan, you said you might be interested in being a bone marrow donor. Now you know where to go.


I was also surprised they seem to emphasize the old style bone marrow transplants that actually involve going into the donor's bone and drawing out marrow as opposed to simply taking the stem cells from the blood.

I was under the impression they didn't do much, if any, of the old bone marrow draws anymore. I must have been wrong. I'll have to ask next time I'm at UCSF. I believe they only do the stem cell type transplants, but I'm sure they'd know who does the old style and why.

Anyway, kind of nice to know that, even though we don't do transplants up here, at least we're involved enough to help with the donor search part of it.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Already took care of that a while back.I've been contacted twice about being a potential donor,but it fell through both times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home