Sunday, December 09, 2007

I Hate It...

Christmas, that is. Always have and always will, but this time of year there just seems to be no getting away from it.

I'm not going to go on and on about it like I did back in 2005 on the day after Christmas. I was thinking of rewriting that piece this year and posting it again but thought better of it.

All I'll do is my traditional ignoring of the holidays and special events so many people seem enamored of. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Easter...I hate them all, so you won't find anything here about them except an occasional hateful post.

But no so with everyone else. We already have at least a couple bloggers posting what they must feel are their obligatory posts on the special event of the season.

At least Richard Marks was able to come out a little bit negative. His post of December 7 asked what the five worst Christmas songs are. At least he's moving in the right direction. I don't think there are any good Christmas songs.

Hold on a second. I think I'll take that back. There are actually two Christmas songs I actually enjoy. I actually don't mind listening to either of these any time of the year. Good stuff.

This first one I think would be obvious why I like it as it's done by one of my favorite of all time music groups.

This second one I actually heard the first time years ago on the old Simon and Simon TV series (remember that one?). For years I never knew who wrote it until I heard it on a local radio station a month or so ago and the DJ identified who it was.

Not to say that those two songs make Christmas any more acceptable. I just like the songs, despite their connection to Christmas.

Ok. Back to finding more reasons to hate Christmas now. Don't worry. I won't post those new reasons here, at least not now. Maybe next year.

11 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choices in music Fred. As a child I used to have a Beach Boys Christmas album, and to this day it stands out in my memory as the most listenable Christmas music. As far as that "second one": Man can Yoko sing some mean harmony, or what?!!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for the great curmudgeonly post about Xmas (Christmas a religious holiday). There is a lot to NOT like. Thanks for reminding me. I was having a pretty good day 'til then...Bah.

Kidding. Merry Christmas, Fred.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Great Christmas music choices.

Maybe we need to hold a Humboldt Blogger Ebeneazer Contest!

Possible contestants:

Fred
Greg
Richard
Ekovox
Carson Park Ranger
Anonymous

Any others?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Man can Yoko sing some mean harmony, or what?!!".

Is she the female voice you can hear singing along with the kids?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Yes, Yoko is singing harmony.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Wondered who that was. Never noticed the voice until I played that video. I thought maybe that might have been you and you wangled your way into the recording somehow.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Tapperass said...

Anonymous wins running away!

-boy

Take Halloween off of your list Fred, that is my Birthday!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Carol said...

No, Fred, my singing voice is deeper than Yoko's voice.

Belated happy birthday, boy! Halloween is a great day for having a birthday.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger samoasoftball said...

Those were two great picks, Fred. I loved the retro Beach Boys video. Brought a smile to this "Grinch." But it is going to take more to get me out of this freezing Funk! Gimme some sun and warmth. I may have to go down to Venice Beach (great for people watching) sometime in the next month.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Joel Mielke said...

The Beach Boys singing goof-ball Xmas songs is as tasteless as dogs barking jingle bells and inflatable vinyl Jesus-in-the-Manger scenes.

It's as if taste and elegance were forbidden for six weeks every year.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Bah! Humbug! I'll still be wishin' you a MERRY CHRISTMAS, Fred.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home