Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Support Open On X-Mas Businesses

I thought this was a pretty good idea: A list of businesses that are open on Christmas Day. The Times- Standard should try and improve on it next year.

Sure, I hate Christmas, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that hates having everything close down on holidays. It's nice to know you can still buy groceries, beer or whatever on days like today. In fact, I think I'll make a special effort to stop by at least a couple of businesses I notice that are open today and buy something. Those places deserve our support.

I think the Times- Standard should devote possibly a full page to the Open On Christmas business listings next year. Maybe towards the end of November they could announce the project and invite local businesses that will be open to send a notice to the T-S and the paper could list them all free of charge on Christmas Eve. Free advertising for businesses that deserve it.
************
On the other hand, I'm not sure how far I want to go in punishing businesses that support Christmas and close on Christmas Day. Some, like Pierson's Building Center, really piss me off. Come Christmas time, they turn what is arguably the best garden center (in Eureka, anyway) into a disgusting display of Christmas. They gut the store of nearly all the garden stuff and replace it with all those ugly Christmas trees. Yuck!

I wish there was some sort of action I could take against Pierson's for that. Problem is, I hardly ever go to Pierson's, anyway, so they'd never notice it even if I did do something.

Then there's those stupid theme stores that change their inventory depending on what the closest holiday is: Long's Drugs and Rite- Aid are the first that come to mind. As Halloween approaches, they fill the aisles with Halloween stuff. Christmas and Easter, same thing. I hate that. I wish I could boycott them just for that.

Kinda tough, though, especially with Rite- Aid. They're close by and have decent prices on beer. It would be hard to avoid them as often as holidays occur. There always seems to be one holiday or another coming up.

But I'm thinking of boycotting Rite- Aid next year if only because they allow those pesky Salvation Army bell ringers to hang out in front of their store. I hate those bell ringers.

I usually develop a mental block to all the Christmas, Easter and Halloween stuff in their aisles. After the first day or two of the new holiday theme I hardly notice that stuff. Not so those damned bell ringers. You can't ignore them.

Don't get me wrong. I support the Salvation Army's work and appreciate their need to raise funds. I just hate the bell ringers because I hate Christmas and those bell ringers kind of rub your nose in the fact that Christmas is on its way. They're also kinda like approaching a store and seeing a panhandler out front. Nobody likes that, do they?

That's not to say I didn't give any money to the bell ringers this year, but I'll admit it was only because the first one that showed up in front of the Henderson Center Rite- Aid store was someone I knew.

She used to be my next door neighbor not long ago. I was surprised to see her doing that and stopped to speak with her briefly. She said the Salvation Army had helped her out before so she was volunteering as a bell ringer. I can't say for sure but I had the feeling that, truth be told, she was probably doing it as court ordered community service.

Still, she is cute and I threw all my spare change in her red bucket. That was the last time I did that this year and it's good to know those pesky folks will be gone until next year.

So, I don't know if I have the fortitude and energy to do it, but I'm thinking of boycotting Rite- Aid next year from the day after Thanksgiving- when the bell ringers first show up- until the day after Christmas, when they'll be gone.

I don't expect anyone to join my boycott. In fact, I hope you don't. The Salvation Army does good work and needs to raise money. Still, I'm sure my fellow Christmas haters, few of us that there are, might consider joining in.

The most important thing, though, is to support businesses that stay open on Christmas Day. We need more of them, if for no other reason than, the more businesses that are open on Christmas, the easier it will be for some of us to ignore Christmas altogether.

12 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred is a Christmas store hater

find any coal in your stocking this year?

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Has Beans is open today,and I'll be getting some coffee there in about an hour.I agree with everything in your prose here,minus the Salvation Army stab.Are they any worse than the Police Officers Association who pester regularly with phone calls?
And Fred,Target is the place for you to shop since they don't allow the bell ringers at their stores at all.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

8:53 wrote, "find any coal in your stocking this year?".

You won't find stockings, Xmas trees, or any other vestige of Christmas in this house!

Esquan wrote, "I agree with everything in your prose here,minus the Salvation Army stab.".

It wasn't meant as a stab at the Salvation Army. As I said, I appreciate what they do. I just hate those damned bell ringers.

I don't know that I'd want businesses to stop allowing bell ringers. I just wish they'd be at stores I don't frequent. Like maybe, instead of the Henderson Center Rite- Aid, how about JoAnn Fabrics just a half a block away? I never go there.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fred,
did it ever occur to you that you could stock up on beer before xmas day? retail workers cant be happy to be at work today...

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Actually, I do stock up on things before Christmas so I don't have to worry about having to find some place open to get whatever I might need.

As far as working on Christmas, or any other holiday for that matter, I always preferred working holidays. It wasn't just the overtime pay, but it seemed a way to keep a sense of normal and try to ignore the holidays.

I could see how some retail workers might not working the holidays, but I would think it would mostly because it's such a pain in the ass with all the extra business before, and the day after, Christmas.

I would think that, in most places, working Christmas Day would be a breeze.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Now, see... Christmas screwed things up in my life yet again:

So, I'm up in a P51b fighting some fast and furious action in my game, Aces High. Right in the middle of the fight, my main gun trigger breaks- falls right off the joystick.

I manage to shoot down the F4U, anyway, using alternate controls.

So, I go to find my receipt so I can send the joystick back to Saitek to get a replacement, although I'm not sure they'll cover it because I physically broke the trigger. They've already replaced at least two joysticks so I can't complain too much.

Doesn't matter. I have the box it came in but I can't find my receipt. Oh well. Couldn't ship it out today, anyway, because IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY!

So, I go to their web site and order another joystick. It will probably take a day longer to get it here, though. Nobody's at the office there. IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY!

And I won't surprised me if it takes a day or two longer than usual getting here. UPS probably has a little catching up to do and they're probably still clogged up a little because of CHRISTMAS!

Luckily, I can still play as I have a couple spare joysticks at hand. Good for all of you because, if I didn't have a spare stick laying around, I'd REALLY be mad, BECAUSE NOT ONLY IS IT CHRISTMAS, I CAN'T PLAY MY GAME!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Starbucks is open, so is Roger's Market in Mckinleyville, in case you run out of syrup for waffles... don't ask me how I know. :)

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Fred, don't you know that most places don't pay overtime for today anyway? It's a double screw to workers today.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

Pssssst…. Fred, this is what Christmas is all about!

Why are you so against holidays? If I had my way, it would be against the law to work on weekends! And holidays!

I’m not a Christian, nor am I religious, nor do I understand why everyone believes in religious hocus-pocus. But, I believe in the goodness of mankind, and in the celebration of the seasons. The Winter solstice has been celebrated since before any thought of Jesus was about. It was a time of joy and happiness, a celebration that the long days and light would soon return, and spring, and abundant food was just around the corner. What better time to feast and give each other gifts. Almost all people have a winter celebration.

The joy and the happiness of people and their children are what life is all about.

I know that you hate Christmas. What worries me, is why do you hate Christmas. You didn’t say one word about that.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Without having to re- write it, my 2005 rant about Christmas can be seen at my December 26, 2005 post:
http://humboldtlib.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_archive.html

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Do you remember Goble's Market in Fortuna that was at the entrance to Rohner Park? The owner lived up the hill behind the store, may he rest in peace. But every year he had the word, "HUMBUG" lit-up on the hillside. I think he is a kindred spirit, Fred.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always figured the people who don't celebrate Christmas (like Jehovah's Witnesses) ought to get to work the Christmas day shift - and all the other holidays they don't like

 

Post a Comment

<< Home