Tuesday, January 08, 2008

New(?) Radio Station

Just got back from San Francisco last night. Lucky for some of you there'll be no travelogue this time. However, if anyone has any questions on travel conditions, feel free to ask. I did want to ask if anyone knows anything about this radio station, though?

I prefer to listen to KMUD while traveling to the Bay Area, but it usually fades out just before, or just as I'm entering Willits. Then I spend the rest of the drive to the city trying to find a good station to listen to. This time it seemed like KMUD faded out just for a minute or two and then came back on. As we drove along the signal still seemed strong. I think it faded out around Cloverdale.

I finally realized it wasn't KMUD but some other station I don't believe I'd ever heard from Willits southward before. The guy mentioned something about Mendocino Community Radio, or some such. When I got to the hotel in San Francisco I did a web search and found the web site for KZYX.

I was wondering if this was a new station- the web site doesn't say when they started up, at least that I could find- or maybe just the weather conditions or a new repeater they set up somewhere?

Cool station: Nice music, along the line of some of the stuff they play on KMUD sometimes, and the chat and news was like KMUD's, too. They actually were better with talk than KMUD because I could hear their voices real well. Some of the KMUD people talk so softly I can hardly hear them, especially in my truck.

I was looking forward to listening to that station on the way back to Eureka but I couldn't seem to find them. I did pick up a station, KOZT, in Fort Bragg(?) we listen to fairly regularly. I like that one, too. Really like the other one, though. Anyone listened to it before?

6 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

KZYX has been around forever. Their 90.7 signal is pretty strong from about Cloverdale to Ukiah. You can get them at 91.5 from Willits to about Leggett.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Wow. I don't know that I've ever heard it before, especially south of Willits. Seems to me that usually, after I leave Willits heading south, it's a struggle to find a decent station to listen to.

Maybe it's something with my truck's radio?

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably the station in Phylo(sp.check) its great music,whack-o political.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger samoasoftball said...

I have heard that station. When traveling south I listen to KMUD until around Laytonville. Then the FB station until around I-20. Then I bounce betweem KGO 810 and 680 ESPN.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Tapperass said...

Speaking of ESPN radio Richard. On my return from vacation yesterday, I picked up 1050 AM, it was a KNBR station, or at least that was the call letters on the hour. I picked up the station a few miles from Altamont pass, and it stayed with me all the way back to Arcata (some breaks die to the mountains of course). I was shocked. It may have carried better at night, but it can be picked up here.

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KZOT is kinda the KHUM of mendo. It's been around about as long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home