Wednesday, April 02, 2008

No News Today

What gives? For some reason I didn't get my hard copies of the Times- Standard or Eureka Reporter this morning. I suppose they might have some new delivery folks that thought my house was abandoned. I can understand that.

But I won't let it go. Sure, I could just get something to comment on online. I often do. I have to make a stand sometime, though. I'm boycotting local news today, so there. I sure told them!
*****
But if you're into polar exploration, as I was in my younger years, and you want something kind of fun to look at, check out this guy's blog. Pictures of both Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton's arctic headquarters as they are today. Remarkably well preserved after almost 100 years because of the cold, dry weather.

Reminds me of one of my favortie PBS mini- series: The Last Place On Earth. It's the story of the race to the south pole between Roald Amundsen and Robert Scott. Scott and some of his men perished in their attempt. They reached the pole after Amundsen and died during their return.

If you like arctic adventures and see the Last Place On Earth coming to local TV, be sure and watch it. The story can also be found in a book with the same name.

4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I phone the circulation department, I tell the person who answers what I need in a nice friendly way. They always take care of my concerns in a friendly and helpful way.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, I checked out the front window a while after I made this post and the Times- Standard was on my lawn. Didn't hear them deliver it like I usually do.

I usually use the form on their web site for missed deliveries and just have them credit me for the paper. Not sure how that will work now since I just signed up for their monthly program where they just bill your credit card each month.

As an aside, Sunday was rather strange. Saturday I had a missed delivery from the T-S and I filled out the missed delivery web form.

Sunday the paper was delivered, as usual. Some time later someone was knocking on my door. I didn't bother answering because I was playing Aces High and figured it was probably just some religious folks wanting to bug me.

When I went out front later, they'd left another Times- Standard on my front porch. Not sure if they mistook my missed Saturday delivery notice for a Sunday one, or maybe someone else had a missed delivery and they left the paper at the wrong address.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I call, then someone delivers the paper that day. It doesn't happen very often.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I used to call the Times-Standard circulation desk about a missed paper before about 10 AM, they would run one out to me that day.

Now, I use the electronic version. It only runs $39 per year, compared with about $144 per year for the "dead-tree" version.

The E-Edition lets me read the whole paper, and print, e-mail, and/or save any article.

A bonus is that I no longer have to handle stacks of old newspapers.

And I never have to stop delivery when I take a vacation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home