Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Baby Aspirin: Anybody Else?

Went to the doctor Monday. Among other things he told me my blood was thick and I should take something to thin in out. He recommended taking one baby aspirin a day. Ahhh, baby aspirin. I remember that stuff.

So I go to the Henderson Center Rite- Aid and start looking through all the aspirin for baby aspirin. Didn't notice it right away so I asked the lady stocking the shelves- her name escapes me right now- if they carried baby aspirin. She pointed one out to me that was orange flavored.

I told her, "I don't know about orange flavored. When I was a wee little tyke I used to love Bayer baby aspirin. I'd eat them like candy...". She replies, "You too? I got in big trouble when my mom noticed the bottle was almost empty after I'd snacked on a bunch of them...".

Anybody else love that stuff when you were a kid? The ones I bought yesterday taste almost as I remember them way back when.

6 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

Yes, and Aspirgum too. Way cool when I was a kid. I've been eating a quarter aspirin tablet per day for the last 20 years. Just bite off a piece from generic aspirin instead of paying the extra price for "baby" size.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, I'm glad you're taking your doctor's advice seriously, even though you're having fun about the "baby aspirin" and all.

Maybe one of these days, we could have a discussion by people who have had heart attacks about the symptoms that the American Heart Association never bothers to tell you about. Readers here who haven't had one (heart attack) might actually benefit from listening to some of us old-hands.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
Aspirin is fine for the purpose you describe but you might also consider Vitamin E. In addition to being a blood thinner, it is a beneficial antioxidant.

 
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Fred, if you want to start taking a blood thinning medication or herb in addition to Aspirin, ask your doctor first. (You don't want to overdo it.)

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I loved the taste of baby aspirin! Nowadays, it is discouraged to give baby aspirin to children with a virus, because it could cause
.

However, a baby aspirin or a low dosage of aspirin is good for the heart of mature individuals.

 
At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the chance that someone here may someday have a heart attack... Remember this: A heart attack does not necessarily involve pain or tightness in the chest or pain radiating down into the left arm.

It MAY involve those symptoms... BUT you may have a heart attack that does not involve those symptoms.

For example, MY heart attack. I woke up to a loud noise. Immediately, my whole body started trembling. I started having hot and then cold flashes in quick succession, extreme sweating, and a dull pain between my shoulder blades (no where else)... I was feeling really, really awful.

I don't remember any of those symptoms being reviewed with me and my coworkers when the local chapter of the American Heart Association gave us a talk. All I could figure is that I must have one hell of a case of the Flu. It turns out, I was wrong, and the delay in seeking medical treatment could have killed me.

Luckily I did make it to my doctor's office, and from there, I was taken to the Emergency Room at St. Joseph Hospital, where some very fine medical professionals saved my life.

Let me give some advice to anyone who may happen to be reading Fred's blog. If one day you start feeling worse than you have felt in many long years, call 9-1-1 right away. Don't delay. Don't try to "tough it out" or "wait until it passes."

That might be too late.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home